Advert

Latest

10 hours ago
Advert
14 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

a day ago
Advert

Dog Almost Dies After Swallowing A Face Mask Left In The Park

Dog Almost Dies After Swallowing A Face Mask Left In The Park

A cocker spaniel almost died after it swallowed a face mask carelessly discarded on a playing field.

Laura Chan, 54, from Glasgow was walking her two cocker spaniels - four-year-old Jasper and two-year-old Kobe - one afternoon when Kobe got hold of a face mask.

Laura had been walking her spaniels when Kobe picked up a mask (Credit: Caters)
Laura had been walking her spaniels when Kobe picked up a mask (Credit: Caters)

Despite urgently trying to retrieve the mask from Kobe's mouth, it was too late - the pooch had already swallowed it whole.

Advert

Laura was especially concerned that the medical face mask, which was fitted with a wire around the edges, could puncture Kobe's stomach due to the sharp metal. She rushed the little pooch to the vets who incredibly managed to retrieve the mask in one piece!

"I was worried the mask had wire in it and would damage his insides," said Laura.

"I was also concerned the elastic would get stuck around his insides and that they might have to open him up to retrieve the mask.

An X-ray showed the mask was in Kobe's stomach (Credit: Caters)
An X-ray showed the mask was in Kobe's stomach (Credit: Caters)
Advert

"Luckily the vets helped and the mask came up in one piece. Since this happened, I've been really vigilant.

"He has not been off his lead since which is a shame, but I don't want to make another trip to the vets with him."

Kobe is now recovering at home with Laura and her son Leon, 24. The mum-of-four is now trying to teach the pooch to wear a muzzle while out on walks, so he can be let off the lead again without worry.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Life

Dog Almost Dies After Eating 26 Golf Balls While On Walkies

She's also started picking up discarded face masks herself while out and about, to protect other inquisitive pups like Kobe.

Advert
Laura is now training Kobe to wear a muzzle on walks (Credit: Caters)
Laura is now training Kobe to wear a muzzle on walks (Credit: Caters)
Woman Almost Dies From Sepsis After Accidentally Leaving Tampon In For Five Days
Health

Woman Almost Dies From Sepsis After Accidentally Leaving Tampon In For Five Days

published at17 days ago

"The vets said it was a first for them for a dog to swallow a mask. Hopefully they won't see another case," said Laura.

"Thankfully Kobe was back home by the evening and was his normal self, looking for food as soon as he got in.

"I want everybody to make sure they safely dispose face masks. Don't just throw them on the ground."

Advert

Sophie Ashworth, from the University of Glasgow Small Animal Hospital, said: "We frequently see dogs eating 'foreign bodies' which require emergency treatment, such as that for Kobe.

Kobe is now recovering at home (Credit: Caters)
Kobe is now recovering at home (Credit: Caters)

"One of the overlooked side effects of Covid-19 seems to be more discarded PPE, such as gloves and face masks.

"This is a timely reminder that littering is not only bad for our environment, but also poses a danger for our pets."

Advert

Please guys, remember to dispose of unwanted masks (or any kind of PPE) safely.

Featured Image Credit: Caters

Topics: Life News, Dogs

Chosen for YouChosen for You

​Love Island Stars Camilla Thurlow And Jamie Jewitt Welcome First Child
published at15 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Tasty

Costa Unveils Christmas Drinks Range Including Quality Street 'Purple One' Latte And Terry’s Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate

published ata day ago
You Can Now Apply To Be On The Next Series Of GBBO

Lucy Devine

Lucy is a journalist working for Tyla. After graduating with a master's degree in journalism, she has worked in both print and online and is particularly interested in fashion, food, health and women's issues. Northerner, coffee addict, says hun a lot. Get in touch at [email protected]