To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
A pooch, who was dyed bright red and bought by her owner as he 'liked the colour', is reportedly doing well now that she has been rescued by an animal shelter.
It is believed that the dog was dyed so she could be sold as a novelty, and was purchased by a man for £133.75 in a refugee camp in the town of Schimatari, in Greece.
The pup has since been nicknamed Scarlet, and was thankfully rehomed by an animal shelter, with her new owner reporting that she is living a carefree and happy life.
Her fur isn't completely clean yet, but the colour has started to fade and she is almost unrecognisable from the dog first picked up by the shelter.
Animal activists were alarmed after seeing the bright red dog roaming the streets with the man, as they were concerned that the colouring could be harmful to the pooch.
Vets later identified the red pigment as hair dye, confirming that the animal did not appear to be suffering any skin ailments as a result of the stunt.
Lots of hair dyes can cause allergic reactions in humans, and they definitely are not recommended for use on animals. They can be toxic if ingested and dogs instinctively lick their fur.
The dog's previous owner, who has not been named, said he thought the colouring was natural when purchasing the dog from somebody in the central square of Omonoia in Athens.
Alarming pictures show just how bright her fur was when she was found, and her white fur can be seen poking through around her eyes, nose and mouth where the red dye had thankfully missed.
Her new owners have shared images of her now that the colouring has faded, and although it is still clinging to her fur in some patches, she looks much happier.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read