Everyone's Making Cookie Fries During Lockdown
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Disney Parks
You might have whipped out a couple of banana breads during lockdown, you've probably binge-watched Tiger King and it's likely you've completed a few jigsaws too, but have you baked cookie fries yet?
No? Well, you're not doing lockdown right - sorry.
The new baking trend is becoming the hallmark of isolation, with amateur bakers across the world trying out the delicious recipe.
And they've been taking to Instagram to show off the results too, which look utterly mouthwatering. If you've never heard of the sweet treat, they're basically a mix between a cookie and a French fry.
They don't actually contain potato, but they're shaped like fries and are best served with a selection of different dips - such as chocolate sauce, peanut butter, Nutella, salted caramel... the list goes on.
Originally made famous by Chicago restaurant, The Cookie Joint, you can also use a crinkle cutter to shape the tasty snacks.
They're really easy to make and if you can master making actual cookies, we're sure you'll be able to pull these off too.
It seems people on Instagram have been inspired by a Disney recipe, which was shared on the Disney Parks blog a few weeks ago.
We've listed it below but feel free to change as you wish and add in extras such as chocolate chips, sprinkles or smarties and serve with whatever dips you fancy - we're dreaming of Biscoff spread and melted white chocolate - or both.
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus one tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup plus one tablespoon plant-based margarine, softened
- 7 tablespoons warm water
- 5 tablespoons liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Combine flour, powdered sugar and plant-based margarine in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine warm water and egg substitute. Add egg substitute and molasses to mixer. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place in an 8×8-inch pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cut into 32 strips that are 1/4-inch wide and 4 inches long. Place 16 strips on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until crunchy.
- Serve with your favourite plant-based chocolate, strawberry, and marshmallow dipping sauces.