Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

5 hours ago
Advert

Woman Suffers Severe Burns To Face As Her Hair Sets Alight Blowing Out Candle

Woman Suffers Severe Burns To Face As Her Hair Sets Alight Blowing Out Candle

When Emily Fairbrass leant over to blow out a candle, she never expected the horrors that would happen next.

As the 25-year-old veterinary nurse learnt over the blaze, one of her long blonde locks caught fire and the flames soon spread to her face.

Advert

Before long, poor Emily's head, face and neck were alight, and Emily ran in agony to the bathroom in a bid to stop the burning.

She then rushed to her neighbours' house who covered her burns while emergency services were called.

The harrowing ordeal unfurled when Emily, from Sittingbourne, in Kent, was at her home on the morning of 10th December.

Emily's face was severely burnt by the flame (Credit: SWNS)
Emily's face was severely burnt by the flame (Credit: SWNS)

She said: "I can honestly say my neighbours Janice and John saved my life. I have sent them flowers and chocolates, but words cannot say how much I owe to them. I cannot thank them enough.

Advert

"All of a sudden I was surrounded by firefighters and ambulances."

Paramedics took her to hospital and she was transferred to a specialist unit in East Grinstead, West Sussex, to be treated for second and third degree burns to her face, neck and head.

She was discharged after four days but still has to return for her wounds to be dressed.

Emily said: "I just kept shouting 'my hair, my hair'. I had lovely long blonde hair. It is the only real thing I like about myself."

Emily's blonde locks set ablaze (Credit: SWNS)
Emily's blonde locks set ablaze (Credit: SWNS)

Emily, who has worked as a trainee for four years, said: "I would also like to thank my work colleagues, family and partner.

"It all happened so quickly. I never knew something like blowing out a small candle in my dining room could result in this.

"It hasn't put me off lighting a candle, but especially at this time of year, I would like to thank others."

Emily also issued a warning to others when using candles, adding: "If you are going to have candles then be very cautious where you put them and just be cautious.

"If I can stop this happening to someone else then that will be amazing."

The flame from Emily's candle burnt her severely (Credit: Unsplash)
The flame from Emily's candle burnt her severely (Credit: Unsplash)

She added: "I love my job and if I could I would go back tomorrow. But I am told I can't risk infection.

"I have also got to face the emotional and physical side of things.

"Staff at East Grinstead have been absolutely amazing and I have a lot of support around me. And my hair is gradually growing back."

We love candles, but this story has reminded us the importance of being safe around flames.

We're so glad Emily is okay!

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: wellbeing, Life, Real Life

Joanna Freedman

Joanna is a journalist at Tyla with a particular interest in highlighting women's issues and telling inspiring first person stories. She's also their resident foodie, and loves covering exciting new beauty launches, too. Contact her at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Ed Sheeran Announces Break From Music After 'Non Stop' Two Years

Ed Sheeran Announces Break From Music After 'Non Stop' Two Years

6 months ago