Advert

Latest

18 minutes ago
Advert
25 minutes ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 hours ago
Advert

Dog Swallows Two Kebabs Whole Along With Ten-Inch Wooden Skewers

Dog Swallows Two Kebabs Whole Along With Ten-Inch Wooden Skewers

One dog bit off more than he could chew (quite literally) when he swallowed two kebabs complete with 10-inch wooden skewers, causing him to undergo an emergency operation.

Eleven-year-old Marmite, from Warwick, decided to help himself to a late night snack, raiding the bin and eating his owner's leftover takeaway.

Advert

When owner Sharon caught him in the act, he decided to gobble the whole thing up.

Sadly for Marmite, he also swallowed the entire skewers and was left writhing in agony when they became lodged in his stomach and throat.

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

Sharon decided to rush him to animal A&E when her pooch appeared in pain.

Vets at the Avonvale Veterinary Centre in Warwick then had to put Marmite under and complete a three-hour operation to remove the skewers.

Advert

Sharon, from Moreton Morrell in Warickshire, explained: "I went into the kitchen at around 11pm and saw Marmite swallowing something down as quickly as possible.

"I noticed the bin was open and I knew straight away he'd helped himself to the leftovers of our kebab take-away.

"Within five or ten minutes he was clearly in trouble. He was gagging, trying to stretch out from tip to toe and was wobbly and falling over.

"I took him straight to Avonvale and they acted so quickly; within 15 minutes of arrival they were anaesthetising him and getting ready to operate.

"They were brilliant, they were all heroes on the night.

"When I went in to see Marmite after the operation they showed me the two kebabs that they had removed.

"It was amazing. I'd obviously caught him in the act and he'd just gobbled them down as quickly as possible without even chewing them."

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

Elly McPhee, the veterinary surgeon who led the operation, said: "The first thing we did was put a video camera down Marmite's oesophagus and halfway down we found a chicken kebab complete with a long, wooden skewer.

"There was even chicken and peppers still attached to it so he had obviously swallowed it whole.

"It was lodged hard and we were unable to retrieve it, which is why Marmite needed an emergency operation.

"The longer the kebab was in there, the more risk there was of the skewer rupturing something or causing infection.

"The only possible way of removing the kebab was by going into the stomach and pulling it down, through and finally out.

"However, as soon I'd gone into the stomach I realised there was a second kebab and skewer lodged in there too, so we ended up removing both."

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

But the vets are no doubt well-acquainted with the hungry pooch as he's visited twice before.

During one visit, Marmite was diagnosed Marmite with Seasonal Canine Illness and received life-saving treatment.

On another occasion, Marmite had one of the discs in his spine removed to prevent him from becoming paralysed.

Marmite's human mum added: "He's such a lucky dog.

"He's done so many things and got into so many scrapes but he just seems indestructible."


Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: Life News

Ciara Sheppard

Ciara is a freelance journalist working for Tyla. After graduating from the University of Sussex, Ciara worked as a writer at GLAMOUR Magazine and later as the Assistant Editor of Yahoo Style UK.

 

Next Up

Amazon Is Selling Mermaid Life Jackets For Dogs And They’re As Adorable As You’d Imagine

Amazon Is Selling Mermaid Life Jackets For Dogs And They’re As Adorable As You’d Imagine

6 months ago