Advert

Latest

10 hours ago
Advert
11 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

19 hours ago
Advert

Animal Charity PDSA Issues Warning After Dog Swallows 10-inch Stick

Animal Charity PDSA Issues Warning After Dog Swallows 10-inch Stick

Vets have issued a severe warning after a nine-month-old pup swallowed a stick half the length of his body.

Rocky, a Southampton-born pooch, was taken to Southampton PDSA Pet hospital after suffering from severe sickness.

Little Rocky managed to swallow a stick half the length of his body! (Credit: PDSA)
Little Rocky managed to swallow a stick half the length of his body! (Credit: PDSA)

Owner Joanna, 36, had no idea her pup had swallowed the stick and and phoned the vets for advice when little Rocky started displaying symptoms. To her shock, the team at PDSA advised he be admitted as an emergency, where they found the gigantic stick sitting in the pup's stomach.

Advert

Now, PDSA vets have issued a warning to owners, urging them to keep sticks away from their fur babies while walking or in the garden.

They've even created a free Pet First Aid leaflet, which is available download here.

"Rocky was being sick repeatedly and couldn't keep any food down. I was so worried and I had no idea what was wrong. I called PDSA and they told me to bring him straight in," said Joanna.

Vets admitted Rocky as an emergency (Credit: PDSA)
Vets admitted Rocky as an emergency (Credit: PDSA)
Advert

PDSA Vet, Zofia Bauman, added: "We knew Rocky was very likely to have eaten something he shouldn't have to cause his sudden illness, and suspected he had a foreign body in his stomach, but we couldn't believe our eyes when we discovered the stick during surgery!

"Given its length, and his size, it's a wonder it hadn't punctured his vital organs and caused fatal injuries. I've never seen anything like it."

After an hour-long operation, the stick was removed and Rocky stayed in overnight for monitoring, to ensure he was stable and that no internal bleeding had occurred.

He was allowed home the following day with painkillers and on strict bed rest!

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Drowning Dog Rescued After It Was Tied To Huge Rock And Thrown In River

Advert
Rocky is now recovering with his cuddly toy (Credit: PDSA)
Rocky is now recovering with his cuddly toy (Credit: PDSA)
Owner Issues Warning After Pet Dog Nearly Died After Eating Face Mask
Life

Owner Issues Warning After Pet Dog Nearly Died After Eating Face Mask

published at17 days ago

The veterinary charity explain they regularly see stick-related incidents across their 48 Pet Hospitals and are urging owners to only use pet safe toys for playtime.

Chewing or playing with sticks can cause wounds in the mouth and throat, choking or intestinal blockages as well as the risk of sticks getting lodged in the mouth.

"We couldn't believe he'd managed to swallow a stick that was half the length of his body! We didn't see it happen and think he must have got hold of it in the garden," said Joanna.

Advert

"I'd encourage everyone to keep sticks well away from their pets to avoid the suffering Rocky has been through. Our family was heartbroken to see him so unwell. Thankfully, he's on the mend and feeling better already, and that's all thanks to PDSA.

"They are wonderful and I would like to thank the vet team who helped save our little treasure. I think PDSA are the best charity in the world!"

PDSA's veterinary care costs £60 million a year to run, but with so many retail shops closed and fundraising events cancelled due to Covid-19, the charity is losing £3 million a month in income.

Advert

With the current financial uncertainty across the UK, PDSA expects the number of pets needing care will increase by around 50,000. Rocky's treatment would have cost Joanna over £750.

You can donate to the charity here.

Featured Image Credit: PDSA

Topics: Life News, Animals, Dogs

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Debenhams' Website Crashes As It Launches Massive Sale Ahead Of Closure
published at17 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Tasty

Asda Is Selling A Giant Chocolate And Caramel Eclair That Serves 10 People

published at19 hours ago

Lucy Devine

Lucy is a journalist working for Tyla. After graduating with a master's degree in journalism, she has worked in both print and online and is particularly interested in fashion, food, health and women's issues. Northerner, coffee addict, says hun a lot. Get in touch at [email protected]