tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Rescue mission underway after man, 20, ‘jumped off’ cruise ship in front of his family
Home>News>Travel
Published 10:46 5 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Rescue mission underway after man, 20, ‘jumped off’ cruise ship in front of his family

Passengers said it appeared to be an ‘impulsive’ and ‘spur of the moment’ decision

Kya Buller

Kya Buller

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Gary Hershorn/Getty Images

Topics: Cruise Ship, News, Travel

Kya Buller
Kya Buller

Kya is a Journalist at Tyla. She loves covering issues surrounding identity, gender, sex and relationships, and mental health. Contact: [email protected]

X

@kyajbuller

Advert

Advert

Advert

A rescue mission has been launched after a 20-year-old man went overboard on an 18-story cruise ship.

Reports state he ‘jumped off’ Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas in front of his family.

The ship was sailing between Cuba and the Bahamas' Grand Inagua Island and the unnamed man is said to have jumped around 4:00 am on Thursday (April 4).

Onlookers state that his father and brother looked on ‘helplessly’.

Advert

Getty Images/ Bruno Vincent

The tragic news has been corroborated by passengers, who said it appeared to be an ‘impulsive’ and ‘spur of the moment’ decision.

Another passenger aboard the Liberty of the Seas at the time of the incident, Bryan Sims, shared his story with The Post.

Sims said: “I had hung out with him and his brother in the hot tub until 3:30. It was standing room only. He sat right beside me the whole time.”

“He was pretty drunk.”

Bruno Vincent/Getty Images

Sims then continued: “As we were walking from the hot tub back to the elevators, his dad and brother were walking towards us. His dad was fussing at him for being drunk, I guess.

“When we got to them, he said to his dad, ‘I’ll fix this right now'. And he jumped out the window in front of us all.”

It’s a devastating image. Sims says: “It was insane. It was just surreal.”

Another passenger onboard, Deborah Morrison, shared: “There was a lot of yelling, and the crew was alerted immediately.

“His family was horrified. Just beside themselves. I can’t even begin to imagine what they’re going through.”

sbw-photo/Getty Images

A search and rescue mission was started immediately, as confirmed in a statement given by The Royal Caribbean crew.

It said: “The ship’s crew immediately launched a search and rescue effort alongside the US Coast Guard, who has taken over the search.

“Our Care Team is providing support and assistance to the guest’s family during this difficult time. For the privacy of the guest and their family, we have no additional details to share.”

Amy Phelps Fouse, a third passenger onboard, shed some light on the atmosphere that followed.

Getty Images/ Fatih Aktas/ Anadolu Agency

She said: “The early morning was definitely sombre as so many people came out of their cabins to stare at the sea, hoping to be able to aid in finding the person.

“Royal Caribbean has been excellent at communicating updates throughout the day.

“They have asked that people act with compassion in light of the tragic situation.”

This heartbreaking news follows the tragic event of 23-year-old Liam Jones, from Dundee, who fell overboard on the MSC Euribia cruise ship last month (16 March).

He was headed for Amsterdam, and has left behind a heartbroken fiancee who shared that the final text he sent to her was that he ‘felt seasick’.

Hampshire Constabulary later confirmed they had launched an investigation on the return of the vessel to the UK.

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
4 hours ago
2 days ago
  • University of Genoa
    2 hours ago

    Bodies of four missing Maldives divers have been found

    Italy's foreign ministry told the BBC that the four missing bodies have now been found

    News
  • Maldives National Defence Force
    4 hours ago

    Maldives missing divers search suspended after military diver dies

    Mohamed Mahudhee, a Staff Sergeant in the Maldives, died of decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital following a search

    News
  • Family handout
    2 days ago

    Mum who drowned after head got stuck in seaside rocks ‘could have been saved’

    An inquest was held earlier today (15 May) regarding Saffron Cole-Nottage's tragic death last February

    News
  • Metropolitan Nashville Police Department
    2 days ago

    Mother searching for missing son, 6, tragically finds him dead after 80ft fall

    Nashville Police have issued a statement following the tragic incident

    News
  • Cruise ship releases passengers after dozens report symptoms of a second 'virus outbreak'
  • Passenger speaks out on what happened moments before man, 20, ‘jumped off’ cruise ship in front of family
  • 'Poop cruise' survivor used one shocking word to describe his experience and everyone is saying the same thing
  • Coast Guard calls off search for man, 20, who jumped overboard on cruise in front of family