
The United States military is preparing for potential strikes on Iran as early as this weekend, according to several reports on Wednesday (18 February) that cited unnamed sources.
US President Donald Trump has not made a final call on whether any attack will go ahead, but the 79-year-old Republican has repeatedly insisted Iran halt its nuclear programme and has warned that possible military force will follow if no agreement is reached.
Reports from CBS News, CNN and the New York Times say the US has already positioned enough air and naval assets in the Middle East to carry out a strike within just a matter of days.
Reuters, also citing an unnamed senior US official, outlined a different timetable, reporting that national security advisers were told in a White House Situation Room meeting on Wednesday that all US forces heading to the region should be fully in place by mid-March.
Advert
Meanwhile, CBS added that any strike window would likely stretch beyond this weekend.

During a press briefing yesterday, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt declined to give a precise deadline for Iran to reach a deal before military action might be considered.
"Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump," she said, adding that the Trump administration 'totally obliterated Iran’s nuclear facilities', but that 'diplomacy' was always the president’s 'first option'.
She said there had been a 'little bit of progress' after the Geneva talks, though 'we’re still very far apart on some issues'. Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said work still needed to be done, but an understanding on 'guiding principles' had been reached.
"He [Trump] is spending a lot of time thinking about this," one source told CNN.
"There’s many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran," Leavit said, adding Trump was relying on counsel from his national security team 'first and foremost'.
Vague messaging has heightened concerns about a possible military clash between the two countries, despite officials still signalling room for diplomacy.
The Telegraph reports that 'US fighter jets tracked as heading towards the Middle East could be laying the groundwork for a major bombing campaign'.

According to the outlet, experts have warned that the increase in warplanes travelling to the Middle Eastern nation is 'likely to be used to clear the way for heavy bombers to strike at the heart of Iran’s regime'.
The USS Gerald Ford, the most advanced carrier group in the US fleet, could reach the region as early as this weekend, following a wave of additional military deployments.
US Air Force assets stationed in the UK, including refuelling tankers and fighter jets, are also being moved closer to the Middle East, according to sources tracking the shifts, per CNN.
Meanwhile, Iran has stepped up efforts to harden parts of its nuclear programme.
Satellite imagery and analysis from the Institute for Science and International Security indicate that key facilities are being reinforced with concrete and heavily covered with soil in response to mounting US pressure.
According to the BBC, ISIS experts have suggested that these changes are potential reinforcements against a possible airstrike by strengthening tunnel entrances.
Tyla has reached out to the White House for comment.
Topics: Donald Trump, Politics, US News, News, World News, Iran