• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Elon Musk sparks major concern amid reports he will lead investigation into US war plan message leak

Home> News> Politics

Updated 15:02 27 Mar 2025 GMTPublished 14:53 27 Mar 2025 GMT

Elon Musk sparks major concern amid reports he will lead investigation into US war plan message leak

White House press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, confirmed the news earlier this week on Wednesday (26 March)

Rhiannon Ingle

Rhiannon Ingle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Earlier this week, a journalist who was accidentally added to a group chat, which saw defence officials in the Trump administration discuss the United States', leaked exactly what was said in the messages.

According to a report in the Atlantic published Monday (24 March), the outlet's editor-in-chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, was accidentally invited into a Signal chat group with over a dozen senior Trump administration officials, including the Vice President JD Vance, the secretary of state, Marco Rubio, secretary of defence, Pete Hegseth, and several others.

Goldberg said he received the Signal - an open-source encrypted messaging service - invitation to 'Houthi PC small group' from Mike Waltz, Trump’s national security adviser, who was also in the group chat.

Elon Musk is reportedly now helping lead an investigation into the Signal chat leak (BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI / Contributor / Getty Images)
Elon Musk is reportedly now helping lead an investigation into the Signal chat leak (BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI / Contributor / Getty Images)

Advert

The material in the text chain 'contained operational details of forthcoming strikes on Iran-backed Houthi-rebels in Yemen, including information about targets, weapons the US would be deploying, and attack sequencing', Goldberg reported.

"The world found out shortly before 2 p.m. eastern time on March 15 that the United States was bombing Houthi targets across Yemen," he wrote.

"I, however, knew two hours before the first bombs exploded that the attack might be coming.

"The reason I knew this is that Pete Hegseth, the secretary of defence, had texted me the war plan at 11:44 a.m."

The White House has since confirmed the leak with national security council spokesperson, Brian Hughes, saying in a statement: "This appears to be an authentic message chain, and we are reviewing how an inadvertent number was added to the chain."

US National Security Adviser, Michael Waltz, US Vice President, JD Vance, and Defence Secretary, Pete Hegseth, were reportedly in the Signal group chat (Andrew Harnik / Staff / Getty Images)
US National Security Adviser, Michael Waltz, US Vice President, JD Vance, and Defence Secretary, Pete Hegseth, were reportedly in the Signal group chat (Andrew Harnik / Staff / Getty Images)

It has since been reported that Elon Musk, who spearheads the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), is now helping lead an investigation into the Signal chat leak.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said during a Wednesday (26 March) press conference that 'the National Security Council, the White House Counsel's Office, and also, yes, Elon Musk's team', will be leading the investigation into the Signal leak.

She continued: "Elon Musk has offered to put his technical experts on this to figure out how this number was inadvertently added to the chat. Again to take responsibility and to ensure this can never happen again."

White House press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, confirmed the news on Wednesday (26 March) (Win McNamee / Staff / Getty Images)
White House press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, confirmed the news on Wednesday (26 March) (Win McNamee / Staff / Getty Images)

The news has since sparked major concern with many taking to social media to share their worry.

"How is a private citizen able to lead an investigation with National Defence implications? WTF?" penned one X user.

A second asked: "Isn't this the FBI's job or something? Like how is this a private citizen's job? This is insane."

"Is that a joke or are you serious?" echoed a third while another lamented: "Good lord, the blind leading the blind."

And a final X user added: "Someone needs to challenge this decision."

Featured Image Credit: Win McNamee/Getty Images

Topics: Elon Musk, Celebrity, Politics, US News, World News

Rhiannon Ingle
Rhiannon Ingle

Rhiannon Ingle is a Senior Journalist at Tyla, specialising in TV, film, travel, and culture. A graduate of the University of Manchester with a degree in English Literature, she honed her editorial skills as the Lifestyle Editor of The Mancunian, the UK’s largest student newspaper. With a keen eye for storytelling, Rhiannon brings fresh perspectives to her writing, blending critical insight with an engaging style. Her work captures the intersection of entertainment and real-world experiences.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

11 mins ago
22 mins ago
27 mins ago
an hour ago
  • Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images
    11 mins ago

    Writer who sued Trump for sexual assault receives Valentine’s ‘love letter’ from his administration

    E. Jean Carroll won an $83.3 million defamation lawsuit against US President Donald Trump after he denied sexually abusing her

    News
  • John Moore/Getty Images
    22 mins ago

    Anyone criticising ICE at risk of being exposed following Homeland Security request

    Several tech firms have already provided Department of Homeland Security leaders with contact information on their social media users

    News
  • Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
    27 mins ago

    Donald Trump reveals extravagant plans for America’s 250th birthday

    The Republican leader, 79, has a calendar of wild plans lined up for America's milestone birthday

    News
  • Scott Olson/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Former US President Barack Obama confirms aliens are real

    The 44th President claimed they're 'not being kept in' Area 51

    News
  • Elon Musk addresses email where he asked Epstein about 'wild party' on private island
  • Donald Trump brutally shuts down reports of ‘peace talks’ with Elon Musk after their public argument
  • Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett has a brutal two-word message for Elon Musk
  • 'Sad' new Cristiano Ronaldo selfie with Elon Musk at White House sparks fury