tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Channel 4 boss says she is 'deeply sorry’ over MAFS UK rape allegations
Home>News
Updated 13:07 20 May 2026 GMT+1Published 12:50 20 May 2026 GMT+1

Channel 4 boss says she is 'deeply sorry’ over MAFS UK rape allegations

Priya Dogra, the chief executive of Channel 4, insisted welfare across the broadcaster is still 'hugely important'

Rhianna Benson

Rhianna Benson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Gisela Schober/Getty Images

Topics: Married At First Sight, Married at First Sight UK, News, UK News, Channel 4

Rhianna Benson
Rhianna Benson

Rhianna is an Entertainment Journalist at LADbible Group, working across LADbible, UNILAD and Tyla. She has a Masters in News Journalism from the University of Salford and a Masters in Ancient History from the University of Edinburgh. She previously worked as a Celebrity Reporter for OK! and New Magazines, and as a TV Writer for Reach PLC.

X

@rhiannaBjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

Warning: This article contains discussion of rape and sexual misconduct which some readers may find distressing.

The CEO of Channel 4 has issued an apology over sexual assault allegations made by Married At First Sight cast members.

Two women who appeared hit reality TV show, made by production company CPL and broadcast by Channel 4, shared rape claims with the BBC, with a third woman describing an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.

One woman, referred to by the pseudonym 'Lizzie', told the BBC she was raped and threatened with an acid attack. CPL says she described the sex as consensual, though rough, and reported the acid comment as a passing remark. The man denies rape and making violent threats.

Advert

Another woman referred to as 'Chloe' claims her on-screen husband raped and groped her, and says she informed CPL and Channel 4 before the footage was aired. The man in question disputes parts of her account, saying the encounter began consensually and he stopped when he sensed she was no longer consenting.

Shona Manderson is one of the brides to speak out (Channel 4)
Shona Manderson is one of the brides to speak out (Channel 4)

He also denies groping her.

Contestant Shona Manderson said her on-screen husband, Bradley Skelly, ejaculated inside her without consent while they were using withdrawal as contraception.

The pair were removed from the show, and Shona later became pregnant and had an abortion.

Channel 4 previously said Shona described all sexual contact as consensual at the time, and CPL said that Skelley told producers he wore a condom, though his lawyers later admitted he had not. He denies all allegations of sexual misconduct.

A statement said: "Bradley Skelly says he understood Shona had consented that night. He categorically denies any allegations of sexual misconduct or that he was controlling. He says their relationship was based on mutual consent, care and affection".

When news of the allegations first broke on Monday (18 May) with the release of a BBC Panorama documentary, Priya Dogra previously declined to apologise to the brides who came forward, but claimed she had 'sympathy' for them.

The Channel 4 CEO has now spoken out (Darren Gerrish/WireImage for British Fashion Council)
The Channel 4 CEO has now spoken out (Darren Gerrish/WireImage for British Fashion Council)

Holding a press conference earlier today (20 May), however, Dogra revealed she'd since watched the documentary and expressed her sorrow over the alleged string of incidents.

"I have watched the programme, and heard the women's accounts, which are very troubling," she said. "Their distress is clear, and for that, I am of course deeply sorry."

She went on to claim that welfare across Channel 4 is 'hugely important', describing it as a 'primary concern'.

Dogra added, however, that her fellow directors aren't in a position to investigate the allegations made by the former castmates, emphasising: "We are a broadcaster, not an adjudicator."

"I do believe that our handling of concerns at the time was appropriate, but as I only took this role up recently, I wanted this looked at again," she said.

During questioning, Dogra was asked why Channel 4 had commissioned investigations after branding the allegations 'wholly uncorroborated'.

"Our job is to look at our actions, our job is to look at our protocols and how we applied them," she responded. "It is for other people to look into allegations that the women have made, our job is to look at allegations of a duty of care failure.

"That's the distinction between the two."

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
20 hours ago
  • Arturo Holmes/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Michelle Obama shares blunt verdict on ‘desperate’ MAGA supporters

    The former First Lady of the US explained why people shouldn't 'pigeonhole' such individuals

    News
  • CBS News New York
    3 hours ago

    Woman dies after falling into uncovered manhole as she stepped out of her car

    Donike Gocaj, a 56-year-old grandmother, died after stepping out of her car and plunging into a 10-foot manhole in New York City

    News
  • John Keeble/Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Hottest day of the year expected as heatwave predicted for the long weekend

    The hottest day of the year in the UK so far was a decent 26.6°C in London's Kew Gardens early last month (8 April)

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    20 hours ago

    Trump administration proposes removal of strict regulations against ‘forever toxins’ in water

    The Environmental Protection Agency and US Health Secretary, Robert F Kennedy, announced the divisive plan on Monday (18 May)

    News
  • MAFS UK bride Shona Manderson accuses on-screen husband of sexual misconduct following BBC report
  • MAFS' Mel Schilling shared bowel cancer symptoms that were dismissed by doctors as family announce her death
  • Body language expert spots red flag 'micro expression' MAFS UK star Eve displayed during shocking episode
  • MAFS UK viewers confused over bride Sacha's comments about her dad meeting new husband Ross