
Topics: Married at First Sight UK, Channel 4, Reality TV, News, UK News

Topics: Married at First Sight UK, Channel 4, Reality TV, News, UK News
Warning: This article contains discussion of rape which some readers may find distressing.
Two 'brides' who appeared on Married At First Sight UK have claimed they were raped by their on-screen husbands.
The reality TV series sees single people - matched by experts - ‘marry’ strangers whom they meet for the first time on their wedding day.
The women told the BBC they were raped during the filming of the Channel 4 show, and a third woman has described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.
Advert
They claim the show did not do enough to protect them, as a new BBC Panorama documentary, The Dark Side of Married at First Sight, is due to air tonight at 8pm.
In the synopsis of the documentary, Panorama says it 'investigates allegations that raise serious concerns that welfare procedures on Married at First Sight UK have failed contributors, leaving them at risk of harm'.
As per the outlet, Channel 4 said all the allegations are 'wholly uncorroborated and disputed'.

Speaking to the BBC on Monday (18 May), Channel 4's Ian Katz, outgoing chief content officer, said he had not seen the Panorama doc yet, but outlined: "They are obviously very serious allegations. We want to see the show, and when we see the show, we will respond."
While CPL, the independent production company that makes the series, said its welfare system is 'gold standard'.
It comes as Channel 4 today announced that in April, it commissioned an external review into contributor welfare on MAFS UK.
In a press release, the channel said: "MAFS UK is produced under some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry.
"These include the most thorough background checks available, a Code of Conduct which clearly sets out behavioural standards, daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team, and access to additional support before, during and after filming.
"The physical and psychological wellbeing of all contributors is of paramount importance throughout the process. All duty of care processes are regularly reviewed and, where appropriate, strengthened."
The channel said that in April, it was presented with 'serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied'.
It added that Channel 4 is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
Related to those allegations, the channel said it was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols and believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time. Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.

Channel 4’s recently appointed CEO, Priya Dogra, who instructed an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS UK last month, said: "I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married at First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.
"It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.
"Those allegations - which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on. We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.
“On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre."
She added: “Nevertheless, because we aspire to the highest standards of contributor welfare, I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time and ask whether changes should be made to further strengthen contributor welfare.
“That’s why last month I commissioned an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS UK. That review will report to me in the coming months.
“We take these issues very seriously and are committed to ensuring that we continue to lead the industry in our duty of care for contributors.”
If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, contact the Rape Crisis England and Wales helpline on 0808 500 222, available 24/7. If you are currently in danger or need urgent medical attention, you should call 999.