To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Family of four left homeless and mourning their pets after dishwasher fire

Family of four left homeless and mourning their pets after dishwasher fire

The devastating fire has left the family mourning their pets, as well as looking for a new home.

A family of four have been left devastated after a dishwasher fire left them homeless and mourning the death of their pets.

Fire crews arrived at a house in Saffron Walden, Essex, just after 3pm on Saturday (22 April) after reports of a fire.

When Essex firefighters arrived at the house Ozier Court, it was full of smoke from a fire that had developed in the kitchen.

The fire was that advanced, it took crews from Saffron Walden and Thaxted around 45 minutes to put it out, with the fire completely vanished at 3:49pm.

The house was left badly damaged by the blaze and the interior was smoke stained throughout.

Smoke now stains the house throughout.
Saffron Walden Fire Station

Fire crews were unfortunately unable to save two cats and a dog that resided in the home.

They gave the animals oxygen at the scene, but sadly they were all pronounced dead at the home.

Local officials confirmed that no people were hurt in the fire.

It is believed that the fire was an electrical one in the dishwasher, with the local fire service now promoting a warning.

Watch Manager Paul Curtis from Saffron Walden Fire Station said: “Electrical faults in appliances are surprisingly common and they can cause fires. So our top advice would be to make sure you’re home and awake when things like dishwashers and washing machines are running.

“We’d also urge everybody to make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home to alert you to a fire. Test your smoke alarms at least once a month to make sure you and your family get an early warning sign to a fire in your home.

Following the devastating fire, local fire crews have issued a warning.
Saffron Walden Fire Station

“We’d also like to highlight the importance of keeping your doors closed if you can. Closing doors can prevent lots of smoke spreading throughout the house and by closing doors, you can help prevent fires spreading.”

The devastating fire comes after a woman warned others as a dishwasher fire caused her whole house to burn down in 2012.

Speaking about the terrible incident last year, Kerry Charnley said: "With fuel prices rocketing, some people who have cheaper electricity tariffs at night might be tempted to run washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers during the night.

"I really want to bring some awareness as to why you shouldn't. In 2012 we suffered a devastating house fire in which we lost everything because I stupidly put the dishwasher on and left the house."

Featured Image Credit: Saffron Walden Fire Station

Topics: Cats, Home, News, UK News