• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
BREAKING: Archie Battersbee’s Parents Win Appeal To Have Case Reconsidered

Home> News

Updated 16:13 29 Jun 2022 GMT+1Published 15:59 29 Jun 2022 GMT+1

breaking

BREAKING: Archie Battersbee’s Parents Win Appeal To Have Case Reconsidered

A judge ruled earlier this month that life-support treatment for the 12-year-old should stop.

Ali Condon

Ali Condon

The family of Archie Battersbee have won their appeal to have the High Court ruling that the 12-year-old should be taken off life-support treatment reconsidered.

Archie has been treated in Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel for the past number of weeks after he was found unconscious with a ligature around his neck in his Essex home in April.

High Court judge Mrs Justice Arbuthnot ruled earlier this month that the young boy 'died at noon on May 31, 2022'.

Archie is in an induced coma.
Alamy.

Advert

Judge Arbuthnot said in her ruling: "I give permission to the medical professionals at the Royal London Hospital to cease to ventilate mechanically Archie Battersbee."

In a statement following the ruling, Archie's mum Hollie Dance said at the time: "I am devastated and extremely disappointed by the judge's ruling after weeks of fighting a legal battle when I wanted to be at my little boy's bedside.

"Basing this judgment on an MRI test and that he is 'likely' to be dead, is not good enough. 

"This is believed to be the first time that someone has been declared 'likely' to be dead based on an MRI test."

Advert

Despite the ruling, Archie's parents maintained that their son is still alive and have called for hospital treatment to continue.

Following the family's appeal case, three judges analysed the case at a Court of Appeal hearing in London on Wednesday and said there should be another High Court hearing.

Archie’s family had been supported by a campaign organisation called the Christian Legal Centre.

Archie's family appealed the court's decision.
Alamy.

Advert

Andrea Williams, the centre’s chief executive, said: “This case raises the significant moral, legal and medical question as to when a person is dead.

“Archie’s parents do not accept that he is dead and are fighting for his life.

“There is no clear definition of death in English law and a case like this has never come before an English court before.

“The outcome is crucial for Archie and his family, and anyone who cares about the value of life in this country.”

Advert

The young boy's mum Hollie Dance and dad Paul Battersbee believe that Archie might have been participating in an online 'black out' challenge before he was found unconscious.

Ms Dance recently noted in an interview with the Guardian that her son has been "responding to music and smell" while unconscious, offering the family a "glimmer of hope" the Archie will make a full recovery.

Archie's mum Hollie Dance has claimed that her son has responded to music and smell while on life-support treatment.
Alamy.

Speaking to The Mirror, she said: "His blood pressure went up, so we put on a deep-breathing meditation recording and put lavender oil under his nose and within 10 minutes his blood pressure dropped to normal levels.

Advert

"It’s a glimmer of hope. He’s in there and he’s going to wake up, he just needs time. All I want is for them to give him time to heal."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Handout

Topics: News

Ali Condon
Ali Condon

Ali is a journalist for LADbible Group, writing on all things film, music, and entertainment across Tyla, LADbible and UNILAD. You can contact Ali at [email protected].

X

@alicondon

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • LAURIE DIEFFEMBACQ/BELGA/AFP via Getty ImagesLAURIE DIEFFEMBACQ/BELGA/AFP via Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Melania Trump’s signature on Putin letter sparks huge conspiracy theory

    The address claimed the Russian president could 'serve humanity' by ending the Russia-Ukraine conflict

    News
  • TodayToday
    7 hours ago

    13-year-old survivor of mass shooting says classmates thought gunshots 'were fireworks' as attacker opened fire

    Robin Westman, 23, took the lives of two children aged eight and 10 years old and wounded 17 additional people yesterday (27 August)

    News
  • Andrew Harnik/Getty ImagesAndrew Harnik/Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    JD Vance reveals his surprisingly honest opinion about Trump’s decision to cover White House in gold

    The US Vice President shared his thoughts on the pricey renovation

    News
  • Clive Brunskill/Getty ImagesClive Brunskill/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Tennis player responds to racism allegations after row erupts at US Open

    Latvian player Jelena Ostapenko has taken to Instagram to address the accusations following her match against US player Taylor Townsend

    News
  • Archie Battersbee's Life Support Has Been Switched Off
  • Judge Rules Archie Battersbee 'Is Dead' And Treatment Should Stop