• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Judge Rules Archie Battersbee 'Is Dead' And Treatment Should Stop

Home> News

Updated 08:30 20 Jun 2022 GMT+1Published 12:04 13 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Judge Rules Archie Battersbee 'Is Dead' And Treatment Should Stop

Archie's parents Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee disagree with the judge

Anish Vij

Anish Vij

A high court judge has ruled that life-support treatment for Archie Battersbee should stop.

The 12-year-old, currently in a coma, was found unconscious at his home in Southend, Essex back in April.

Archie's mother Hollie Dance says her son had suffered brain damage during an incident at home, which could have potentially been from related to an online challenge.

Doctors at the Royal London Hospital in east London previously suggested that it was 'highly likely' he was 'brain-stem dead'.

Advert

Mother of Archie Battersbee, Hollie Dance.
Alamy

As reported by The Mirror this morning, Judge Arbuthnot said: "I find that Archie died at noon on May 31, 2022, which was shortly after the MRI scans taken that day.

"I find that irreversible cessation of brain stem function has been conclusively established.

"I give permission to the medical professionals at the Royal London Hospital to cease to ventilate mechanically Archie Battersbee."

Advert

Ms Dance said: "I am devastated and extremely disappointed by the judge's ruling after weeks of fighting a legal battle when I wanted to be at my little boy's bedside.

"Basing this judgment on an MRI test and that he is 'likely' to be dead, is not good enough. 

"This is believed to be the first time that someone has been declared 'likely' to be dead based on an MRI test.

"The medical expert opinion presented in court was clear in that the whole concept of 'brain death' is now discredited, and in any event, Archie cannot be reliably diagnosed as brain-dead."

She continued: "I feel sickened that the hospital and the judge have failed to take the wishes of the family into consideration.

Advert

"I do not believe Archie has been given enough time. 

"From the beginning I have always thought 'why the rush?' His heart is still beating, he has gripped my hand, and as his mother, I know he is still in there.

"Until it's God's way I won't accept he should go. I know of miracles when people have come back from being brain dead.

"This case raises the significant moral, legal and medical questions as to when a person is dead. 

Advert

"What does this ruling today tell us about where our society is at? We intend to appeal and will not give up on Archie."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: News

Anish Vij
Anish Vij

Anish has an MA in Multimedia Journalism and is passionate about delivering sarcastic/mildly amusing content. After studying business at undergrad, Anish realised that he’d much prefer getting paid to rant about a topic, rather than to find a solution to it. Apart from that, he loves the ‘Four F’s’, as he calls it - family, friends, football and food. Email: [email protected]

X

@Anish_Vij

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • LAURIE DIEFFEMBACQ/BELGA/AFP via Getty ImagesLAURIE DIEFFEMBACQ/BELGA/AFP via Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Melania Trump’s signature on Putin letter sparks huge conspiracy theory

    The address claimed the Russian president could 'serve humanity' by ending the Russia-Ukraine conflict

    News
  • TodayToday
    8 hours ago

    13-year-old survivor of mass shooting says classmates thought gunshots 'were fireworks' as attacker opened fire

    Robin Westman, 23, took the lives of two children aged eight and 10 years old and wounded 17 additional people yesterday (27 August)

    News
  • Andrew Harnik/Getty ImagesAndrew Harnik/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    JD Vance reveals his surprisingly honest opinion about Trump’s decision to cover White House in gold

    The US Vice President shared his thoughts on the pricey renovation

    News
  • Clive Brunskill/Getty ImagesClive Brunskill/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Tennis player responds to racism allegations after row erupts at US Open

    Latvian player Jelena Ostapenko has taken to Instagram to address the accusations following her match against US player Taylor Townsend

    News