• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Archie Battersbee's Mum Says He's 'Responding To Music' Following Judge Ruling

Home> News

Updated 11:47 20 Jun 2022 GMT+1Published 08:29 20 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Archie Battersbee's Mum Says He's 'Responding To Music' Following Judge Ruling

The 12-year-old has been unconscious since an incident at his Essex home in April.

Ali Condon

Ali Condon

The mum of Archie Battersbee has insisted that he will wake up, after noting that the 12-year-old has been 'responding to music'.

Her claim comes following the High Court's ruling that Archie was 'brain dead' and should have his life support switched off.

Archie was found with a ligature around his neck at his Essex home in April after what his mum believes was an attempt at a viral social media 'blackout challenge'.

Mother of Archie Battersbee, Hollie Dance.
Alamy.

Advert

Since the incident, the schoolboy has been treated at Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, where he is hooked up to a ventilator.

Archie's mother Hollie Dance, 46, and father Paul Battersbee, 56, are in the process of appealing the judge's recent ruling to give their son more time to recover.

Hollie Dance said that her family had been given a 'glimmer of hope' after noting that the young boy had recently 'responded well to music and smell'.

Speaking to The Mirror, she said: "His blood pressure went up, so we put on a deep-breathing meditation recording and put lavender oil under his nose and within 10 minutes his blood pressure dropped to normal levels.

Advert

Archie Battersbee has been on a ventilator since he was found unconscious at his home in April.
PA

"It’s a glimmer of hope. He’s in there and he’s going to wake up, he just needs time. All I want is for them to give him time to heal."

Doctors at the Royal London Hospital have previously suggested that it was 'highly likely' Archie was 'brain-stem dead'.

Last Monday, 13 June, Mrs Justice Arbuthnot ruled that Archie 'died at noon on May 31st 2022, which was shortly after the MRI scans taken that day'.

Advert

The judge said: "I find that irreversible cessation of brain stem function has been conclusively established.

"I give permission to the medical professionals at the Royal London Hospital to cease to ventilate mechanically Archie Battersbee."

Archie is currently on life support.
PA

In response to the ruling, Ms Dance said at the time: "I am devastated and extremely disappointed by the judge's ruling after weeks of fighting a legal battle when I wanted to be at my little boy's bedside.

Advert

"Basing this judgment on an MRI test and that he is 'likely' to be dead, is not good enough. 

"This is believed to be the first time that someone has been declared 'likely' to be dead based on an MRI test.

"The medical expert opinion presented in court was clear in that the whole concept of 'brain death' is now discredited, and in any event, Archie cannot be reliably diagnosed as brain-dead."

Her statement continued: "I feel sickened that the hospital and the judge have failed to take the wishes of the family into consideration.

Advert

"I do not believe Archie has been given enough time."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: News

Ali Condon
Ali Condon

Ali is a journalist for LADbible Group, writing on all things film, music, and entertainment across Tyla, LADbible and UNILAD. You can contact Ali at [email protected].

X

@alicondon

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • LAURIE DIEFFEMBACQ/BELGA/AFP via Getty ImagesLAURIE DIEFFEMBACQ/BELGA/AFP via Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Melania Trump’s signature on Putin letter sparks huge conspiracy theory

    The address claimed the Russian president could 'serve humanity' by ending the Russia-Ukraine conflict

    News
  • TodayToday
    7 hours ago

    13-year-old survivor of mass shooting says classmates thought gunshots 'were fireworks' as attacker opened fire

    Robin Westman, 23, took the lives of two children aged eight and 10 years old and wounded 17 additional people yesterday (27 August)

    News
  • Andrew Harnik/Getty ImagesAndrew Harnik/Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    JD Vance reveals his surprisingly honest opinion about Trump’s decision to cover White House in gold

    The US Vice President shared his thoughts on the pricey renovation

    News
  • Clive Brunskill/Getty ImagesClive Brunskill/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Tennis player responds to racism allegations after row erupts at US Open

    Latvian player Jelena Ostapenko has taken to Instagram to address the accusations following her match against US player Taylor Townsend

    News
  • US judge orders Trump’s ‘Alligator Alcatraz’ to be shut down imminently
  • Woman with three divorces and four kids out of wedlock is trying to overturn same-sex marriage ruling
  • Idaho murders judge makes major ruling on controversial execution method in Bryan Kohberger case
  • Meghan Trainor responds to claims she looks 'unrecognisable' following major transformation