Doctor makes shock discovery after mum saw something in toddler's ear
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: TikTokfirstname.lastname@example.org
A mum from Arkansas became concerned when she spotted something strange about her daughter's ear, but she definitely wasn't prepared for the truth of what was lurking inside.
Mum, Jessica DeLoach, stunned her followers when she took to TikTok to share snaps of her young daughter, Averie, and explained the bizarre situation that unfolded shortly after the family moved to a new home in the woods.
The house had undergone a remodel and the family spent the day outside in the garden, where Jessica got stuck in to some work to make it look its best.
After the day outdoors, Jessica gave Averie a bath and noticed the young girl had some irritation around her ear.
Concerned, the mum contacted her doctor who advised her to come in immediately.
Speaking to People about the ordeal, Jessica said: "It seriously looked like she had shoved some food in her ear. "
Averie didn't seem to be acting strangely in herself, but Jessica noted that she was sensitive about having her ear touched or examined.
When the mum and daughter arrived at the doctor's office, Jessica had to hold Averie in her lap while doctors took a closer look and tried to remove whatever it was that had got into Jessica's ear.
"The removal process was very traumatising as you have to hold the child still to remove items safely," the mum said. "A two-year-old just doesn't understand what the doctor is trying to do."
It wasn't until the doctor pulled the strange mass out of Averie's ear that the mum realised what it was - not one, but two ticks.
"I had no idea it was a tick until the doctor started removing it from her ear," Jessica said.
The mum shared a picture of the little insects on TikTok afterwards, warning parents to 'check your babies' ears after playing outside'.
"Ticks can crawl inside!!," she wrote. "Gross!"
The mum said Averie's ear was bruised for a few days after the ticks were removed, but she assured she has since made a full recovery.
"I'm just glad she didn't have any after effects," she told People, adding: "Other parents have told me about similar experiences, even ticks crawling onto their child off of their dog. I've learned it happens more than I could have ever imagined."
Ticks can carry a range of disease, the most common being Lyme disease.
Though Averie went through a lot, the mum revealed that she was rewarded for her bravery with a lollipop from the doctor. Very well deserved, I'd say!