Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Mum's Stark Warning After Baby 'Almost Died' After Eating Peanut Butter

Published 
| Last updated 

Mum's Stark Warning After Baby 'Almost Died' After Eating Peanut Butter

Reynalyn Pacyod, 29, was following baby-led weaning advice when her 'worst nightmare' came true.

A normal morning for the mother and her seven-month-old tot Mayumi would quickly take a turn for the worse.

The well-meaning mother had decided to follow some online advice to introduce allergens into her daughter's diet early, having few qualms as her family had no history of severe allergies.

Mayumi had an allergic reaction to peanut butter. Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Mayumi had an allergic reaction to peanut butter. Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Advert

So, as her husband dropped their eldest at school, she thought she'd try giving her second-born peanut butter on toast.

Within minutes, Mayumi had a small lump on her lip, and springing into action her worried mother called an ambulance.

Speaking about the scary incident, she said: "It's every mum's worst nightmare.

"It was very scary, she was unconscious three times because her throat had swollen up.

Advert

"She looked like she'd been stung by a bee, she swelled up to three times her normal size."

While the ambulance came within five minutes, Pacyod said 'it felt like a long time' adding that she was 'screaming to the operator to please hurry up.'

Luckily the ambulance came within five minutes. Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Luckily the ambulance came within five minutes. Credit: Kennedy News and Media

When the ambulance came, Mayumi had started to lose consciousness again: "I was calm but when she was starting to go unconscious and couldn't breathe, I was crying. It was really scary.

Advert

"I was really panicking. When she was unresponsive I thought I could lose her."

From just a small lump on the baby's lip to the reaction being 'all over her body', the mother was in bits waiting to see if she would be okay.

Mayumi was given adrenaline and treated in hospital: "After the adrenaline shot she fell asleep, after that she was fine. Though she was still swollen, she was trying to smile."

Pacyod wanted to warn other parents following the 'nightmare' incident. Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Pacyod wanted to warn other parents following the 'nightmare' incident. Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Advert

While Mayumi is fine now, Pacyod is keen to warn other parents, as she explained: "I follow baby-led weaning and I read online that if giving them allergens early, it's a high chance that any reaction won't be as bad."

However, she went on to say that you can never be sure, and 'if parents try to introduce allergens like peanut butter, start it on the back of the hand or a tiny bit on the lips, but it doesn't always give them a reaction until you've given it to them as a food'.

She recommended: "You have to be mindful and never leave them. When feeding a baby you shouldn't leave them for a second."

But, ultimately, she was 'glad' for the incredible healthcare workers because it 'could be worse'.

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News and Media

Topics: News, Health, Life, Parenting

Shola Lee
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Celebrity

Jaw-dropping Wagatha Christie details revealed in unseen court documents

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

People baffled by Shein's cut-out trousers

an hour ago