Pet owners issued warning over ‘poisonous’ Easter treats
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Jason Ondreicka / Lynn Morales / Alamy Stock Photo
Pet owners are being issued a warning over ‘poisonous’ Easter treats – many of which you may not realise could be dangerous to animals.
When Easter comes around, the home is often filled with all kinds of delicious seasonal goodies, from chocolate and hot cross buns to gigantic legs of lamb that could feed an entire army.
But while the holiday is a time for joy and spending time with family, one pet expert is warning others to remember their animals.
Lorna Winter, co-founder of puppy training app Zigzag, said chocolate is a well-known culprit for dogs, but that there are many other edible hazards that you may not know.
Winter, who is also Director of the UK Dog Behavior and Training Charter, said: "Even just a small amount of chocolate can make your pup quite poorly.
"Sadly for dogs, chocolate contains theobromine which for them is a toxic chemical.”
The expert said you should also be careful with peanut butter-based treats as well, as some contain xylitol, which can prove dangerous for animals.
Winter recommends erring on the side of caution and calling the vet if you suspect your dog has managed to get its paws on any form of chocolate or sweets.
She also says there are issues with feeding pups some of your Sunday roast, too.
"Many elements of your Easter roast might be harmful to your pup without you realizing," Winter said, explaining how it’s not necessarily the meat that’s the issue, but the veggies that are often cooked alongside it.
"Most of the allium vegetable family (garlic, onions, shallots, leeks and chives) are toxic for dogs," she added.
Winter said you can share some of the roast lamb you’ve lovingly cooked, but that you should put the dog’s portion to one side ‘before any seasoning or spices are added’ and ‘remove any bones as this could be a choking hazard’.
You may have thought hot cross buns must be a safe bet, but unfortunately they’re a no-go as well.
This is because they often contain raisins, which can cause gut problems for dogs.
Winter also warned others about all those springtime flowers that people use to brighten up the home as Easter comes around, with daffodils and lilies known for being toxic to dogs and cats.
"Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and a reduced appetite," Winter said.
She also advised emptying the vase once the flowers start drooping to avoid a pet getting into it, as they may be tempted to lap up the water - which can still be dangerous after being in contact with the flowers.