To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Housing and Communities Minister Robert Jenrick has explained the government is giving "careful thought" on whether to allow the current limit of 30 guests to be raised.
The government's roadmap out of lockdown was set to be lifted entirely on June 21st, with all social distancing measures looking to be relaxed entirely.
However, the now rapid spread of a new variant of coronavirus, which was first detected in India, has potentially scuppered plans.
Speaking on Sky News, Mr Jenrick explained that he hoping to see number of guests permitted to weddings increase, but warned prospective newlyweds against making big plans before Monday.
"I appreciate that that is very tough and I would like to see the number of people attending weddings increase," he said.
"We are giving that careful thought. That will be one of the topics that the PM will address on 14 June."
He continued: "Well, we have always said that the roadmap is subject to review of the data, that is what is happening right now.
"So I wouldn't make plans until you have heard from the PM if that is important to you.
"But weddings can go ahead right now, but just with a maximum of 30 guests."
The wedding sector has been pushed to the very brink since March 2020, with 94 per cent of all planned nuptials forced to be cancelled.
There's thought to be around 60,000 businesses in the wedding sector, previously worth £14.7 billion.
Wedding businesses fear the sector will lose a staggering £325million every seven days if the Government postpone lifting restrictions for another two weeks.
It looks set to be a tense few days for couples looking to tie the knot.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read