tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Royal Photographer Claims Buckingham Palace Had One Request At Philip's Memorial
Home>News
Updated 08:59 5 Apr 2022 GMT+1Published 08:39 5 Apr 2022 GMT+1

Royal Photographer Claims Buckingham Palace Had One Request At Philip's Memorial

The only photographer in Westminster Abbey was told he couldn't photograph the Queen's arrival at her late husband's memorial service

Isobel Pankhurst

Isobel Pankhurst

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Richard Pohle/ Getty; BBC

Topics: News, Royal Family, The Queen

Isobel Pankhurst
Isobel Pankhurst

Advert

Advert

Advert

The photograph that's been seen around the world — the Queen being escorted into her late husband's memorial service — almost didn't happen, according to the photographer who captured it.

Writing in The Times this week, Richard Pohle said he was given strict instructions not to photograph the monarch's entrance into Westminster Abbey last week.

Richard felt the request was unreasonable given that the event was being broadcast on the BBC to the entire world, adding that he was the only official photographer at the event.

The Queen arrived escorted by her son Prince Andrew, the Duke of York (
Alamy)

Advert

Richard writes that with the speculation surrounding the Queen's arrival — and people asking if she'd arrive in a wheelchair — he was growing increasingly concerned that he wouldn't be able to get that all-important shot.

But then he heard the news that the Queen would be escorted by her son Prince Andrew, the Duke of York. This in itself was headline news, given that Andrew has been out of the limelight since recently settling a reported $12M (£9M) sexual assault lawsuit in the US.

"I absolutely need to photograph this" Richard reportedly told palace press officers, as "the arrival of the Queen was now the major news event."

The photo of the Queen's arrival at Westminster Abbey almost didn't exist (
Alamy)

The press officer did eventually relent, allowing Richard to photograph the arrival.

Describing his prime position, he writes that he "was perched on a small plastic footstool behind a row of seats looking towards where the royal family would be seated. The Queen would enter and walk down the aisle opposite me. If all went well I would see her and Andrew as they walked all the way down the aisle."

However, he'd forgotten that when the Queen arrives tradition dictates that everyone stands.

With everyone standing it then became rather difficult to get a good shot.

The Queen arriving at the memorial service (
Alamy)

Richard recounts that he "jumped off [his] footstool and moved quickly to the aisle between the rows of seats opposite where the Queen would walk" in order to get the perfect picture.

Nevertheless he managed to get a number of shots of the Queen and Duke of York's arrival at the memorial ceremony - in pictures that have been beamed around the world.

Choose your content:

12 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Image
    12 hours ago

    Trump administration proposes removal of strict regulations against ‘forever toxins’ in water

    The Environmental Protection Agency and US Health Secretary, Robert F Kennedy, announced the divisive plan on Monday (18 May)

    News
  • BBC
    12 hours ago

    MAFS UK bride Shona Manderson accuses on-screen husband of sexual misconduct following BBC report

    Shona Manderson 'married' Bradley Skelley on the Channel 4 reality TV series in 2023

    News
  • Instagram/@kimkardashian
    12 hours ago

    Lorry full of Kim Kardashian's SKIMS underwear at centre of £7m cocaine bust

    Polish lorry driver Jakub Jan Konkel, 40, has been jailed after smuggling £7 million of cocaine in a lorry full of SKIMS clothing

    News
  • Alex Wroblewski/CNP/Bloomberg via Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson set wedding date as they opt for unexpected venue

    The pair first started dating a few years ago in 2024, with Trump Jr. popping the question in December of last year

    News
  • Labour MP being 'held hostage' in Buckingham Palace during King Charles' speech
  • Duchess of Kent has died aged 92, Buckingham Palace announces
  • Buckingham Palace denies Prince Harry’s claims about recent trip
  • Buckingham palace issues statement on Prince Andrew as he’s served notice to leave Royal Lodge