Woman rushed to hospital and left 'looking like Donald Duck' after getting lips dissolved
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Jam Press
Lip fillers were all the rage a few years back, with the look sported by countless celebs including Kylie Jenner and many others, but many are now choosing to dissolve their plump pout.
This was no different for TikToker Ruby, 23, who had quite the reaction following her lip-filler removal procedure.
Watch the TikTok here:
The procedure clearly did not go at all to plan, leaving Ruby with severely swollen lips and cheeks.
Taking to TikTok, the 23-year-old Newcastle-upon-Tyne resident posted the dramatic events which ensued following the procedure – documenting the severe allergic reaction to thousands of viewers.
Sharing the traumatic experience, Ruby captioned the TikTok video: "I had my lip filler dissolved....and ended up in hospital."
After spending hours in the hospital, the swelling in her face took over a fortnight to subside.
"I told the clinic that I wanted more shape and definition but was told that if I wanted that, I'd have to get the lips dissolved and start over again as they were too full," she explained.
"I'd had a lot of dermal filler administered into my lips for over two years and my lips had lost their shape and the filler was migrating.
"Within seconds of the injection, I started to swell, but the nurse kept going and just said that a little swelling was apparently normal.
"It wasn’t until she was done dissolving them that my lips got bigger and bigger to the point where she became concerned.
"She then walked me out to the car, with a mask over my face and told my mum who was waiting for me that she needed to take me to hospital immediately."
The 23-year-old dubbed the whole ordeal 'awful' after feeling like her lips 'were going to pop at any given moment'.
Ruby added: "I was just scared in case I would stay disfigured permanently and the swelling would never subside."
Opening up about the initial panic, Ruby explained that she and her mum rushed to the hospital in a 'mad panic'.
Upon arrival, she was told just how 'lucky' she was that the reaction was not even more severe.
"They said how lucky I was that I didn’t go into anaphylactic shock and that first reactions are usually a warning, therefore future ones tend to be a lot worse," Ruby explained.
The video has since racked up an impressive 2.6 million views on the video sharing app, along with 86.8k likes and more than a thousand comments.
One TikTok user said the ordeal left Ruby looking like a not-so-flattering cartoon character: "Donald Duck Whooo?"
Some saw the video as a cautionary tale, warning people of the dangers of certain cosmetic procedures: "This is why personally I will never have cosmetic surgery or anything like this its too risky for me!"
"Omg hope you're ok that’s why am so scared to ever have my lips done," echoed another.
Ruby has since gone on to warn others about the risks involved in getting their lips done.