Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Woman issues warning against scented candles after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning

Rhiannon Ingle

Published 
| Last updated 

Woman issues warning against scented candles after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning

Featured Image Credit: TikTok/@Emymoore3/Tatiana Maksimova/Getty Images

Whether it's for setting the mood, or just making a room smell nice - many of us love a good candle.

However, it's clear they come attached with some pretty serious hidden dangers leaving one woman to issue an urgent warning against scented candles after suffering with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emy Moore, who goes by the handle @emymoore3 online, took to TikTok to share the frightful ordeal which led her to be in the Emergency Room 'all night'.

Loading…

Advert

She began by telling viewers she had five candles burning in her room for hours and then blew them right out before she went to sleep.

Recalling the moment, Emy revealed 'what was really scary' was the sensation of feeling her body had 'dropped'.

"I don't know how to explain it, like my body separated," she continued. "Like there was two of me."

She then revealed she heard a 'voice' telling her 'something's wrong'.

Advert

Emy then got up and felt her chest caved in and her heartbeat racing, adding: "It wasn't anxiety because I used to have panic attack disorder and general anxiety disorder."

The TikToker rushed to the hospital after 'obnoxiously shaking head to toe', remembering: "It basically felt like I needed to seize."

Emy was left 'obnoxiously shaking head to toe' at the hospital. Credit: TikTok/@emymoore3
Emy was left 'obnoxiously shaking head to toe' at the hospital. Credit: TikTok/@emymoore3

Doctors found Emy's blood pressure to be incredibly high and were shocked after learning how long she had her candles burning before blowing them out.

Advert

"They were like, 'Well, yeah, you could have for sure gotten carbon monoxide poisoning'," she continued. "So they hooked me up to oxygen.

"After a few hours of being on oxygen, it literally just like went away."

She then assured fans she was now 'all good'.

"Moral of the story: I will never be using scented candles ever," Emy concluded. "Praise God that I went to the hospital because if I didn't and I was still in my room, I would have been absolutely gone."

Advert

"Your health really matters. Prioritise your health. Don't take things for granted," she added. "Just take care of yourself."

People rushed in to share their reactions to the 'scary' ordeal. Credit: TikTok/@emymoore3
People rushed in to share their reactions to the 'scary' ordeal. Credit: TikTok/@emymoore3

Emy captioned the clip: "Never buying a candle EVER again."

The video has since clocked up over one million views alongside hundreds of comments from people eager to share their reactions.

Advert

One TikTok user admitted: "I literally had no idea you can get carbon monoxide poisoning from candles."

A second penned: "New fear for a hypochondriac unlocked!! Thanks!"

"New fear unlocked," revealed a third.

"Glad you're okay that’s so scary!" commented a fourth, while a fifth chimed in: "YES! I have been telling people to swap their candles for diffusers instead!!!!"

Someone else suggested: "Put the scented candles on a wax warmer! So it’ll melt the wax without a flame."

Another explained: "This is why I use soy-based or coconut-based candles!"

"I didn’t know this could happen, thank you for spreading your story, you probably saved my life," thanked a final TikTok user.

Well, the more you know.

Topics: Home, Life, Health, TikTok

Rhiannon Ingle
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Life

Woman sparks furious debate after revealing her most 'controversial' reading habits

11 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

David Beckham sparks outrage amongst Brits with one word during his appearance at the BAFTAs

3 days ago