Russell Brand accused of rape after investigation
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images/Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for The Recording Academy
WARNING: This article contains details of sexual assault and rape.
Russell Brand has been accused of rape by four women following a bombshell investigation.
The comedian, 48, has vehemently denied the allegations and said his relationships have been consensual ahead of the publication of an article on Saturday afternoon featuring joint investigation by Channel 4 show, Dispatches, and The Times.
One of the alleged victims was just 16-years-old at the time.
One woman alleges that the British comedian raped her against a wall in his home in Los Angeles. She was treated at a rape crisis centre the same day, according to medical records.
She later sent him a text explaining that she felt she had been taken advantage of, adding: “When a girl say[s] NO it means no,” to which Brand allegedly replied and said he was ‘very sorry’.
A second woman said Brand assaulted her when she was 16 and still at school and he allegedly referred to her as ‘the child’ during a relationship that lasted for about three months.
She claimed that he ‘forced his penis down her throat’, making her choke.
EXCLUSIVE: Russell Brand denies accusations of rape, sexual assault and controlling and emotionally abusive behaviour.— Channel 4 Dispatches (@C4Dispatches) September 16, 2023
Five women share their stories with @C4Dispatches in a joint investigation with @thetimes.
Watch Russell Brand: In Plain Sight tonight at 9pm on @Channel4 pic.twitter.com/gmVMCAsh2B
After she tried to push him off, she says she had to punch him in the stomach to make him stop.
A third woman alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Brand while working with him in Los Angeles and claimed she was threatened by him if she took legal action or told anyone about her allegations.
A fourth woman also alleges she was sexually assaulted by Brand and that he was physically and emotionally abusive towards her.
The women have chosen to remain anonymous.
Brand now has millions of followers online, including 6.6 million subscribers on YouTube, where he posted a video preemptively denying the accusations against him.
While accusing the media of planning a coordinated attack against him in his YouTube denial, he said: "Amidst this litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks are some very serious allegations that I absolutely refute.
"Now, during that time of promiscuity, the relationships I had were absolutely always consensual. I was always transparent about that then, almost too transparent, and I'm being transparent about it now as well."
Tyla has approached Brand's representatives for comment.
For information or support, contact thesurvivorstrust.org