Mum dies just 14 hours after five-month-old baby boy suddenly passed away
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: BPM Media/Stoke Sentinel
A mother died 14 hours after her five-month-old baby passed away, an inquest has heard.
Viktorija Mardosiene, from Stoke, suffered a heart attack just a matter of hours after her son, Kevin Dugutis, died last August.
The 32-year-old was rushed to Harplands Hospital but sadly could not be saved.
Following the tragedy, an inquest was launched to determine the circumstances around their deaths.
It was heard during a hearing that Kevin had died as a result of co-sleeping, which can be very dangerous for young children.
In a statement, consultant paediatric pathologist Dr Roger Malcomson said: "What we are left with is a baby who has died co-sleeping with a parent. There is no specific medical cause of death after a comprehensive autopsy.
"There are problems associated with co-sleeping including overlaying. There is also a risk of hypothermia and restricting of airways. There is nothing sufficient to suggest a specific cause of death.
"I would consider an unascertained cause of death."
Adding: "With the debate of if this was a natural or unnatural death, I don't think there is sufficient evidence to suggest either way."
Recalling the scene at Viktorija's home as paramedics tried desperately to save Kevin's life, PC Tyler Lowe said: "The living room was extremely cluttered with boxes and toys all over the floor.
"We heard from the paramedics that he was not getting any air and a tube was inserted into his mouth and throat.
"We approached Viktorija to make inquiries, she said, 'No English'. We kept some distance. She was on the phone to the baby's father asking, 'Is my baby dead?'. She began to cry.
"We heard how she had taken the baby to bed, sleeping, at 11pm. At 1:34am we heard doctors had ceased CPR and stopped life care. Viktorija was then conveyed to hospital."
Viktorija, originally from Lithuania, was later taken voluntarily to Harplands Hospital, where she began suffering from chest pains.
That afternoon she went into cardiac arrest and sadly died at 3.53pm.
The toxicologist's report stated there were traces of diazepam in the mother's system at the time - administered by the hospital - but no other drugs or alcohol.
Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post-mortem, said: "On the balance of probability, I cannot identify exactly what the medical cause of death.
"The granular materials themselves were non-toxic as there was no mention in the report. They would have been taken within 14 hours of death but I cannot say exactly when."
North Staffordshire coroner Duncan Richie adjourned proceedings, stating that further information was required.