tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's mother Queen Elizabeth II was 'very keen' on ex-Prince taking on 'prominent role'
Home>News>Royal Family
Published 15:17 21 May 2026 GMT+1

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's mother Queen Elizabeth II was 'very keen' on ex-Prince taking on 'prominent role'

Prince Andrew, as he was formerly known, was arrested by Thames Valley Police in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Rhianna Benson

Rhianna Benson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Topics: Prince Andrew, The Queen, Royal Family, UK News

Rhianna Benson
Rhianna Benson

Rhianna is an Entertainment Journalist at LADbible Group, working across LADbible, UNILAD and Tyla. She has a Masters in News Journalism from the University of Salford and a Masters in Ancient History from the University of Edinburgh. She previously worked as a Celebrity Reporter for OK! and New Magazines, and as a TV Writer for Reach PLC.

X

@rhiannaBjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

Newly-released documents show Queen Elizabeth II pushed for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's role as UK trade envoy.

The former position recently resulted in Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office, relating to his service as a special representative for trade and investment between 2001 and 2011.

A message sent from Sir David Wright, the ex-chief executive of British Trade International, to former foreign secretary Rosie Cook in 2000 was included in files made public earlier today, detailing the late monarch's 'wish' for her second son, then Prince Andrew, to attain the high-profile position.

According to Wright, the Queen - who died in October 2022 - had been 'very keen' for Andrew, 61, to assume a 'prominent role in the promotion of national interests'. He also told Cook she hoped her son would succeed the Duke of Kent, who'd served as a special representative for trade at the time.

Advert

The Queen reportedly hoped Andrew would succeed the Duke of Kent (Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images)
The Queen reportedly hoped Andrew would succeed the Duke of Kent (Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images)

Also advocating for the father-of-two, Wright discussed Andrew's ascension to the role involving regional trips overseas, along with a 'leading trade mission from time to time'.

"Finally, we would want the Duke of York to be available to receive prominent trade visitors from overseas here in London and perhaps act as host at meals or receptions as appropriate," he told Cook in the six-year-old memo.

Ministers agreed back in February that the letter, just one of hundreds related to Andrew's stint in the post, would be made public following his arrest by Thames Valley Police.

He was accused at the time of passing on confidential information to the wrong people - namely, disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein - after receiving access to senior government and business contacts.

Andrew was accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein (Davidoff Studios/Getty Images)
Andrew was accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein (Davidoff Studios/Getty Images)

A supporting statement was shared by the UK government upon the release of the files on Thursday (21 May), in which it was ruled that no evidence had been found confirming that Andrew, who vehemently denies any wrongdoing, had been properly vetted for the role.

Junior trade ​minister, Chris Bryant, announced: "We have found no evidence that a formal ​due diligence or vetting process was undertaken. There is also no evidence that this was considered.

"This is understandable since this new appointment was a continuation of the royal family’s involvement in trade and investment promotion work following the Duke of Kent’s decision to relinquish his duties as Vice-Chairman of the Overseas Trade Board."

Responding to this, Labour MP Sarah Owen told The Independent: "We must expect the highest standards for all who operate in public office domestically and representing our country overseas. Everyone should be subjected to the same due diligence, with no exceptions.

Andrew was arrested in February (MEGA/GC Images)
Andrew was arrested in February (MEGA/GC Images)

"The days of appointing people without due process because of their family ties or other privileges must be condemned to the past.

Lib Dem leaders also described it as 'shocking and deeply troubling that Andrew was appointed to the trade envoy role with no vetting'.

Wendy Chamberlain, the party's chief whip, added: "Nobody should be above such standards. This raises serious questions about why officials and ministers at the time thought that was acceptable.

"The lack of documentation provided is itself concerning, as is the time it has taken to get this far. We must get the full files from the government without delay, and an explanation about why there is such a small paper trail.

"And the government must commit to mandatory vetting for all similar appointments in future."

  • Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor 'threatened with weapon' while out on dog walk
  • Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's ex-girlfriend makes bizarre claim over Epstein photo
  • King Charles issues statement over brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest
  • What happens next for Royal Family after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
5 hours ago
22 hours ago
23 hours ago
  • Instagram/@yolanda.hadid
    2 hours ago

    Cases of ‘silent’ disease common among A-listers are surging in UK

    Justin Timberlake, Shania Twain, Bella Hadid, and Justin Bieber are just some of the celebrities who've opened up on their diagnosis

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Vanessa Trump shares devastating breast cancer diagnosis - here are the 8 symptoms to look out for

    Donald Trump Jr's ex-wife, Vanessa Trump, thanked doctors for their support after revealing she underwent a procedure 'earlier this week'

    News
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    22 hours ago

    British radio station issues apology after wrongly announcing King Charles III's death

    The Station Manager of Radio Caroline, Peter Moore, took to Facebook to issue a statement following the major blunder

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    23 hours ago

    Father pays devastating tribute to three daughters who all died in Brighton beach incident

    The identities of the three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been released

    News