
Topics: Prince Andrew, Royal Family, UK News, Crime, Jeffrey Epstein

Topics: Prince Andrew, Royal Family, UK News, Crime, Jeffrey Epstein
Questions have been raised about the future of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his arrest yesterday.
Thames Valley Police confirmed on Thursday (19 February) that the former prince had been taken into custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Unmarked police vehicles were photographed arriving at Wood Farm in Norfolk in the morning, while plain-clothed officers gathered.
"As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk," a police statement read.
Advert
"The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance.
“Please also remember that this case is now active to care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright also told press: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."
Andrew was arrested under suspicion of misconduct in public office. This is an offence which entails abuse or neglect of power or responsibilities by someone holding public office, as per the Institute for Government.
This applies to individuals in both government and public sector roles, including elected officials, civil servants, police, judiciary, and working royals.
Andrew served as UK trade envoy from 2001 to 2011.
The charge carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the most severe cases.

Andrew’s arrest came after police previously confirmed they were in the midst of reviewing allegations that the father-of-two had shared sensitive information with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Andrew has not yet been charged with a crime and has denied any allegations of wrongdoing in his association with Epstein.
Searches took place yesterday at the Royal Lodge in Berkshire and Wood Farm in Norfolk - both part of the King’s private estate.

An update shared by Thames Valley Police last night heard that, while searches in Norfolk have since concluded, they’ll continue searching the Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate, where he and ex-wife Sarah Ferguson had lived until Charles ordered their eviction back in October.
As for what happens next, legal partner Andrew Gilmore told Sky News last night: "The police will take away all the documents and devices they've seized today. They will be processed and looked at very carefully.
"A file will then be built and put together by the police, that will assess all the evidence."

This file, he added, will then be received by the Crown Prosecution Service. Lawyers at the CPS will then review their findings and 'make a decision on whether to charge or not'.
Asked how long this could take, Gilmore claimed it could be anything between six months and a year, depending on the amount of evidence that investigators are able to compile.
According to former British Transport Police chief constable, Andy Trotter, Andrew’s release leaves the case 'open-ended'.
"The case will be reviewed - the College of Policing guidance is every 30 days - this is going to be a very, very long investigation of international inquiries," he explained, adding that, by releasing the report, investigators are not 'restricted to any time limits'.