• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
White House makes major surprise claim about Elon Musk just weeks into Donald Trump’s presidency

Home> News> Politics

Published 13:44 19 Feb 2025 GMT

White House makes major surprise claim about Elon Musk just weeks into Donald Trump’s presidency

The statement was released in a court filing on Monday (17 February)

Rhiannon Ingle

Rhiannon Ingle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The White House has set the record straight on exactly what role Elon Musk has and what his powers are in a new court filing, and it's come as a shock to some.

The 78-year-old Republican leader was officially sworn in as the 47th president of the United States around this time last month (20 January) and has made a number of appearances alongside Musk, 53, since.

Now, Musk has been closely linked to the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) with previous reports stating Trump appointed him to the head position.

Advert

However, in a court filing earlier this week on Monday (17 February), the White House confirmed that Musk is not actually an employee of DOGE and is, in fact, an Oval Office employee and senior adviser to the president.

The filing, signed by Joshua Fisher, director of the office of administration at the White House, states that the Tesla CEO can only advise Trump and communicate the president’s directives.

"Like other senior White House advisers, Mr Musk has no actual or formal authority to make government decisions himself," it said, adding that Musk was not an employee of the US DOGE Service or the US DOGE Service Temporary Organisation.

"Mr Musk is not the US DOGE service administrator," it said.

The White House has made a major claim about Elon Musk in a court filing on Monday (17 February) (Andrew Harnik / Staff / Getty Images)
The White House has made a major claim about Elon Musk in a court filing on Monday (17 February) (Andrew Harnik / Staff / Getty Images)

According to AP News, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt declined to tell reporters at the White House who the DOGE administrator is.

"Elon Musk, just like everybody else across the federal government, works at the direction of President Trump," she said.

Last Thursday (13 February), a group of state attorneys sued to stop Musk's efforts to cut federal spending.

The lawsuit filed by the attorneys general of New Mexico and 13 other states alleges Trump has given Musk 'unchecked legal authority' without authorisation from the US Congress, Reuters reports.

"Oblivious to the threat this poses to the nation, President Trump has delegated virtually unchecked authority to Mr. Musk without proper legal authorisation from Congress and without meaningful supervision of his activities," the states said, calling Musk an 'agent of chaos' in the government.

On Tuesday (18 February), Trump and Musk put on a united front as they sat down with Fox News' Sean Hannity at the White House.

The interview aired following speculation of tensions between Trump and Musk over criticism of the latter's reported prominent role in Trump’s administration and suggestions that he was usurping the president’s power, earning the moniker 'President Musk'.

Featured Image Credit: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Topics: Donald Trump, Elon Musk, Politics, US News

Rhiannon Ingle
Rhiannon Ingle

Rhiannon Ingle is a Senior Journalist at Tyla, specialising in TV, film, travel, and culture. A graduate of the University of Manchester with a degree in English Literature, she honed her editorial skills as the Lifestyle Editor of The Mancunian, the UK’s largest student newspaper. With a keen eye for storytelling, Rhiannon brings fresh perspectives to her writing, blending critical insight with an engaging style. Her work captures the intersection of entertainment and real-world experiences.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Donald Trump slammed for mocking Uzbekistan president's name during Board of Peace summit

    Trump has been called out online for his comments made about Shavkat Mirziyoyev, the President of the Central Asian country

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Every country that has declined Trump's Board of Peace

    The US President, 79, held his first Board of Peace meeting in Washington D.C today - here are the countries that declined their invitation

    News
  • Kevin Dietsch/Getty Image
    12 hours ago

    Full list of Trump's donors who paid for $300 million White House ballroom as new images released

    The total estimated cost for the renovation project is reportedly between $300 million and $400 million

    News
  • SAUL LOEB / AFP via Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Donald Trump says he 'doesn't like young, handsome men' in bizarre speech

    Paraguayan president Santiago Peña, 47, was oddly praised by the US leader in what has since been deemed an 'embarrassing' comment

    News
  • Elon Musk suffers major consequence of Donald Trump’s rant about ‘train wreck’ billionaire
  • How much money Elon Musk lost during '130-day' White House stint amid Donald Trump 'break-up'
  • Grimes speaks out on ‘consent’ as she makes plea following Elon Musk and son's White House appearance
  • Elon Musk makes furious demand to Donald Trump about Jeffrey Epstein files after dropping bombshell claim