• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Emmanuel Macron’s wife Brigitte responds after conspiracy theorists who claimed she was ‘a man’ are cleared in court

Home> News> Politics

Published 16:18 14 Jul 2025 GMT+1

Emmanuel Macron’s wife Brigitte responds after conspiracy theorists who claimed she was ‘a man’ are cleared in court

Brigitte Macron's lawyer has issued a statement and revealed what their next steps are

Madison Burgess

Madison Burgess

Featured Image Credit: Benjamin Cremel - WPA Pool/Getty Images

Topics: Emmanuel Macron, Politics, US News, World News

Madison Burgess
Madison Burgess

Madison is a Journalist at Tyla with a keen interest in lifestyle, entertainment and culture. She graduated from the University of Sheffield with a first-class degree in Journalism Studies, and has previously written for DMG Media as a Showbiz Reporter and Audience Writer.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Brigitte Macron has responded after the conspiracy theorists who started the rumour she ‘was a man’ have been cleared in court.

For those not familiar with the case, The First Lady of France, Emmanuel Macron’s wife, 72, has been plagued with online claims and misinformation surrounding her gender for years.

And on Thursday, the courts in Paris overturned earlier convictions against two women for spreading the false claims that quickly went viral on social media.

Following the verdict, she has taken the case to the highest appeals court, her lawyer said on Monday, reports France 24.

Advert

The First Lady initially filed a libel complaint against the two women back in December 2021, after they posted a YouTube video outlining their wild theory.

They alleged that Brigitte had once been a man named Jean-Michel Trogneux, who is actually her brother.

The four-hour long video saw defendant, self-proclaimed spiritual medium Amandine Roy, interviewing Natacha Rey, a ‘self-described independent journalist.'

Brigitte Macron is taking a case surrounding false claims against her to the highest appeals court after it was overturned this week (Alberto Pezzali - Pool/Getty Images)
Brigitte Macron is taking a case surrounding false claims against her to the highest appeals court after it was overturned this week (Alberto Pezzali - Pool/Getty Images)

Advert

Rey claimed to have uncovered that Jean-Michel Trogneux changed gender and became Brigitte, before marrying Emmanuel Macron.

Of course, wild conspiracists took this as gospel and the claim quickly went viral in America.

In September last year, a court found Rey and Roy guilty of defaming the First Lady and ordered them to cough up 8,000 euros in damages to her, and a further 5,000 euros to her brother.

However, after they were cleared on appeal on Thursday, both Brigitte and her brother are taking the case to the highest appeals court, the Court de Cassation.

Advert

The Paris court of appeal overturned the conviction and said that the 18 pieces of video fell in line with good faith and free speech and didn't constitute defamation, reports The Telegraph.

According to the publication Jean Ennochi, the lawyer for Brigitte Macron said: “I’m going to see what my clients and I are going to do, but obviously we don’t agree with this ruling.”

The First Lady of France has been plagued with misinformation and false claims surrounding her gender for years (Pool / Getty Images)
The First Lady of France has been plagued with misinformation and false claims surrounding her gender for years (Pool / Getty Images)

Meanwhile, MailOnline reports that the First Lady’s lawyers said she was ‘devastated’ by the latest development surrounding the false claims.

Advert

The defendants lawyers on the other hand, showed relief, with Maud Marian, Roy’s lawyer, simply saying: “We’re acquitted.”

Rey’s lawyer, François Danglehant, added: “Natacha Rey, hunted, persecuted, condemned. But ultimately Natacha Rey, acquitted.”

The latest updates in the case come just after the Macrons returned from a state visit to the UK, where they spent time with the British royals.

The couple spent time with King Charles III and Queen Camilla at Windsor Castle, as well as the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Advert

The French president and his first lady were treated to a full itinerary while over in London, which included a a carriage ride to Windsor.

Amid their busy schedule, the Macrons also attended a glitzy state banquet with the British royals, which was the Princess of Wales’ first in two years.

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • OceanGateOceanGate
    7 hours ago

    Billionaire planning trip to Titanic wreckage two years after Oceangate disaster

    A billionaire whose 'name you would recognise' is reportedly gearing up to journey to the Titanic wreckage

    News
  • Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesAl Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    People think the gold in Donald Trump’s new White House renovations might not be real

    One social media user claimed some of the objects were 'probably just spray-painted gold'

    News
  • Kenny Holston-Pool/Getty ImagesKenny Holston-Pool/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Donald Trump has revoked Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection

    The news comes despite former President Joe Biden quietly extending it before exiting office

    News
  • Scott Olson/Getty ImagesScott Olson/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    JD Vance fuels outrage after 'disgraceful' driving act in an attempt to avoid protesters

    A video of the American Vice President's motorcade attempting to avoid protestors in Wisconsin is circulating online

    News
  • French president Emmanuel Macron sues controversial podcaster over conspiracy theory about his wife Brigitte
  • Emmanuel Macron breaks silence on viral video of wife appearing to ‘slap’ him on plane
  • Emmanuel Macron makes feelings on being ‘slapped’ by wife Brigitte very clear with ‘mocking’ gesture days after incident
  • Donald Trump offers Emmanuel Macron marriage advice after his wife 'slapped' him