To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Nicola Bulley died from drowning, inquest hears

Nicola Bulley died from drowning, inquest hears

The mum-of-two disappeared whilst walking her dog on January 27

A pathologist has confirmed that mum-of-two Nicola Bulley died from drowning.

The financial advisor disappeared earlier this year on 27 January while walking her dog in Lancashire - sparking a major police investigation.

The 45-year-old's body was found nearly a month later on 19 February, with an inquest being carried out today (26 June) to discuss her tragic death.

Nicola Bulley first disappeared in January.
Police/Family handout

Bulley was initially reported missing after she dropped her children at school earlier this year.

The mum-of-two had been walking her dog Willow along the River Wyre, but never returned.

The disappearance sparked a huge search and intense media speculation, which only worsened after her phone was found on a nearby bench - still connected to a Teams call.

Tragically, her body was later found a mile downstream on 19 February, with police later confirming there were no suspicious circumstances.

Now, five months on from her disappearance, an inquest is being held into Bulley's death.

The mum of two was found a month later on February 19.
Police / Family handout

The inquest is being held at the County Hall in Preston, with a Home Office pathologist saying the mum-of-two died from drowning.

Appearing before the court, Dr Alison Armour said that Bulley had been alive when she entered the water and said there was 'no evidence' that she'd been harmed.

Continuing, she added that fluid and fragments of dirt on Bulley's body were 'typical features we see in cases of drowning'.

She also stated that there was no alcohol in the mortgage advisor's system before her death, when asked by senior coroner Dr James Adeley - who is leading the inquest.

A police underwater search specialist also echoed this statement in a video, explaining how the temperature of the water could have contributed to Bulley's tragic death.

PC Matthew Thackray said: “The river was 4C, so almost freezing, and if she fell in the muscles would probably seize making it difficult to swim properly.”

Bulley was alive when she entered the water - according to a pathologist.
Facebook/Nicola Bulley

During the proceeding, Dr Adeley also address the mum-of-two's loved ones who were in the court, saying: “I’m sorry that you are attending this court under these circumstances.”

The inquest is scheduled to run over two days, with Bulley's partner Paul Ansell and sister Louise Cunningham also due to give evidence.

Prior to the inquest, lawyers representing the family gave a statement, which read: "Her family are hopeful, and confident, that the inquest process will establish the true facts, a clear timeline of what happened, and how Nicola died.

"Her family will not be making any comment until all evidence has been heard, and until the Coroner has delivered his conclusion."

Featured Image Credit: Police Handout

Topics: UK News