Mum issues urgent warning to parents after discovering smoke coming from child’s car seat
| Last updated
A terrified mum has issued a warning to other parents after her little girl’s car seat started billowing with smoke.
Natasha Furlong, from Canada, has urged other parents to be vigilant as her daughter's car seat almost caught fire.
Thankfully, Natasha wasn’t with her little ones at the time and was able to quickly tackle the fire before it got out of hand, but it could have been much worse.
The mum decided to take to TikTok, where she’s known as @morethanjustamother, to share the warning, writing: “To all the parents out there, just be aware of how quickly this can happen. I'm so glad it didn't happen while my daughter was strapped in.”
In the clip she asks: “Are you a parent? If so this is something you seriously have to watch.
"If you have a car seat, you need to watch this because I didn’t even know this was a thing until it literally just happened.
"And [it] could have been so much worse, could have been - yeah - way worse situation.
“But I want to share it with you guys because the weather is getting nice - it’s getting hot - and you need to know.”
The clip then cuts to Natasha opening her car door to reveal a pink car seat smoulder and smoking.
“I just opened my car door to put my daughter in her car seat,” she explains in the video. “And her car seat is on fire, from the heat. Oh my God, is this even real life? What the f**k? It’s, like, legit smoking.”
She then goes on to explain that her, very smart, nine-year-old worked out that the fire was most likely caused by the mirror that was placed on the back of the seat that the car seat was facing.
She ended the clip by asking: “Can you imagine if she was sitting in her seat?”
The clip has left fellow parents horrified, with one person commenting: “Could you imagine if you was just in your house chilling and you looked outside in your driveway and your car was on fire because of that.”
Another wrote: “WOW. That is terrifying. Could have been her.”
While someone else posted: “Thank you for posting this! I would have never thought of something like this happening! Now I know to look."