To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

A mum has issued a warning to other parents after her son’s 'holiday fun' henna tattoo left him hospitalised with chemical burns.

Monika Shakesheff gave sons, Ollie, nine, and seven-year-old Charlie, permission to have the temporary tattoos applied while on holiday at a TUI-managed hotel in Turkey last month.

After successful patch tests, Ollie went for a wolf on the left side of his chest, while his younger brother opted for an outline of footballer Cristino Ronaldo on his leg.

But when they returned back to the UK, Ollie began to complain about having an itchy red chest, which had begun to ooze a yellow-coloured liquid.

Ollie had a henna tattoo while on holiday with his family.
Kennedy News and Media

It's believed that the burn was caused by Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) - a chemical commonly found in black henna and dark hair dyes.

After a trip to the GP and hospital, doctors have confirmed it was a chemical burn. It was dressed in a specialist dressing and Ollie, who is now on the mend, was prescribed antibiotics.

Monika, from Bridgetown in Stratford-upon-Avon, said: "Ollie was excited to have a henna done.

"They had them done at a permanent stand which was in the hotel.

"We flew home on the Saturday and by the Sunday, Ollie's tattoo started to become itchy, red, wet and oozy.

"It started to seep yellow liquid and it was a bit infected.

"We tried to wash the henna design off but it was too late and it just started to get worse and worse."

The youngster was left with chemical burns.
Kennedy News and Media

The mum continued: "When we called the doctor, they said it was definitely infected. It was swollen and so we got some antibiotics and some cream.

"But it wasn't getting any better and it was constantly oozing and very swollen. Ollie had yellow bubbles filled with yellow liquid [where the henna had been].

"His clothes and the bed covers were covered in yellow-red stains so we decided to go to A&E.

"We then went to the burns department at Birmingham Children's Hospital, they looked at Ollie's chest and said it was a really strong reaction to black henna.

"They said that black henna should not be used on the skin.

"They [the henna people] didn't even say it was black henna, they said it was just a henna tattoo, which is very misleading because the customer should know it's black henna.

"They were advertising henna tattoos but they were using black henna. We had never had henna before so we didn't think about it."

Mum Monika is now warning other parents about the dangers.
Kennedy News and Media

She added: "I thought at first maybe it was just Ollie and he has more sensitive skin but Charlie has some red patches on his skin where the head of the Ronaldo in henna was.

"Charlie's shows a bit of reaction but it is not as bad as Ollie's."

Monika now fears that her son may be scarred for life and is issuing a warning to other people who may be considering getting a henna tattoo.

"To other parents I would say check what product they are using and, if you don't know do some research before they put it on your child's skin,” she said.

"So, before you decide to have your child tattooed, think again. A lesson learned for us."

A TUI UK&I spokesman said: "Whilst black henna isn't illegal in Turkey, we take health and safety of our customers very seriously.

"Our health and safety teams are aware of the incident and we will be investigating thoroughly with our resort teams."

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News and Media

Topics: Health, Travel, Parenting