tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Parents of 5-year-old boy Liam Conejo Ramos who was detained by ICE issue heartbreaking update after release
Home>News
Published 09:43 7 Apr 2026 GMT+1

Parents of 5-year-old boy Liam Conejo Ramos who was detained by ICE issue heartbreaking update after release

The child and his father, Adrian Alexander Conejo Arias, were held in custody for 10 days in a Texas detention centre in January

Madison Burgess

Madison Burgess

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Courtesy of Columbia Heights Public Schools

Topics: US News, Mental Health, News, Politics, Parenting

Madison Burgess
Madison Burgess

Madison is a Journalist at Tyla with a keen interest in lifestyle, entertainment and culture. She graduated from the University of Sheffield with a first-class degree in Journalism Studies, and has previously written for DMG Media as a Showbiz Reporter and Audience Writer.

Advert

Advert

Advert

The parents of Liam Conejo Ramos have claimed that the five-year-old 'is very different' after being detained by ICE in January.

For those who aren't up to date with the story, the little boy was seized by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents while on his way home from school in Minneapolis, on 20 January.

He was making his way up his driveway when a group of agents approached, attempting to apprehend his father, Adrian Alexander Conejo Arias.

The story quickly went viral, and outrage ensued after a photo of Liam wearing a bunny hat and a Spiderman backpack circulated online, prompting a response from the US Department of Homeland Security.

Advert

At the time, Zena Stenvik, the Superintendent of Liam's school district, said that the father and son had been transported to South Texas Family Residential Centre in Dilley, Texas, having been accused of living in the United States illegally, and accused ICE agents of 'using a five-year-old as bait in order to see if anyone else was home'.

An upsetting update has been issued on five-year-old Liam Ramos (Courtesy of Columbia Heights Public Schools)
An upsetting update has been issued on five-year-old Liam Ramos (Courtesy of Columbia Heights Public Schools)

After the story and a photo of the child wearing a bunny hat and a Spiderman backpack went viral, the US Department of Homeland Security claimed that ICE 'did not target a child', and instead argued that Liam had been 'abandoned' by his father, an alleged 'illegal alien'.

Liam and his father, who is from Ecuador, were held in custody for 10 days in the Texas detention center before US District Judge Fred Biery granted an emergency request from the family's lawyer in February.

Now, the five-year-old's parents have sat down with CBS News for a new interview, published on Monday (6 April).

His father said during the interview, in Spanish, that his son is regularly seeing a psychologist, however this hasn't fully put their minds at ease.

He explained: "As parents, it worries us a lot that he's no longer as he was before, and we're worried this could last a long time. It does worry us that this will not heal quickly."

Liam's mother, Erika Ramos, heartbreakingly revealed that Liam has been showing signs of psychological trauma, including hypervigilance and isolation.

She said, "My boy is very different. He sees police officers, and he says, 'It's ICE, Mommy.'"

Liam's parents claim he's not the same boy following the 10-day detention (Lawrey/Getty Images)
Liam's parents claim he's not the same boy following the 10-day detention (Lawrey/Getty Images)

Getting emotional about the time that her husband and child were in custody, she added: "The most difficult thing was I couldn't do anything. My desperation was to go and get them out, because I really did not understand why."

Erika claimed that Liam is more prone to behaving badly, and in school, he no longer wants to go to certain classes or play with the other children.

ICE also initially claimed that Liam's father abandoned him as he tried to evade capture - something the father has categorically denied.

He said: "It's not true what people are saying. I never did and never would."

As per CBS News, the US federal government has continued to try to deport the family and recently terminated their asylum case, while appealing the federal court order that allowed Liam and his dad to be released from ICE custody.

Last month, the news broke that the family had been ordered to be deported to Ecuador, as reported by The Independent.

Attorney Danielle Molliver told Minnesota Public Radio that they're appealing the 'disappointing' ruling to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).

Tyla has contacted the White House and ICE for comment.

  • Positive update given on 5-year-old boy who was detained by ICE after school
  • Judge orders deportation of five-year-old Liam Ramos and family after he was detained by ICE after school
  • Five-year-old boy detained by ICE after coming home from school
  • World famous TikToker Khaby Lame detained by ICE amid Trump’s crackdown

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • YouTube/ Kirklees Council Live Streaming
    an hour ago

    Newly-elected Reform councillor makes concerning confession during first meeting

    Sarah Wood raised concerns after objecting to a vote during the chaotic meeting

    News
  • war.gov/UFO
    2 hours ago

    The White House releases top secret UFO files and images

    A second batch of files has been released by the government, referring to 'fireballs' and more

    News
  • Chris Jackson/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Royal ‘objected’ to ‘common’ Kate Middleton marrying Prince William

    Royal author Christopher Andersen has alleged that one member of the royal family was among 'Kate’s fiercest critics'

    News
  • Mustafa Ciftci/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Warning over when it's too hot to walk your dog as heatwave looms

    The upcoming bank holiday weekend is set to see the hottest day of the year so far in the UK

    News