To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Neighbour says police called to doctor's home at least twice before she killed baby and herself

Neighbour says police called to doctor's home at least twice before she killed baby and herself

Dr. Krystal Cascetta and her baby died on Saturday, 5 August

Warning: Article contains mentions of suicide

A neighbour has claimed that police were called twice to the home of a New York City cancer doctor who took the lives of herself and her child.

Dr. Krystal Cascetta, 40, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound around 7 am on Saturday, 5 August, after apparently shooting and killing her baby.

The Hematology-Oncology specialist at Mount Sinai Hospital died at her Westchester home, who she shared with her husband Tim Talty.

State police said in a statement: “A preliminary investigation revealed that at approximately 7:00 a.m., Krystal Cascetta entered her child’s room and shot her baby and then turned the gun on herself. The scene is consistent with a murder/suicide.”

It is not clear how old the baby was, but social media posts suggest the child was born just months ago.

It is also not currently known what led to these tragic gunshots.

Dr Krystal Cascetta.

But now, an upstate neighbour has told the New York Post that police were called to Cascetta’s home at least twice before the fatal shots.

Neighbour Bob Stuart said: “They had ambulances and police come to their house two, maybe three times this summer. At least twice. I saw the police and ambulances arrive.”

It is not known why the emergency services were repeatedly called to the million-dollar Westchester County home.

Police have said that while Talty was away at the time, Cascetta's parents were in the home when she entered her baby’s room and shot the child, before turning the gun on herself.

According to NBC News, State Trooper Steven Nevel said the call to 911 came from inside the home.

He says the caller heard the first gunshot, but just thought it was the sound of something falling. But the second gunshot sound came before they were able to reach the room, where they found the door to be locked.

Once they broke down the door, both Cascetta and her baby were dead.

Nevel said: “We know, 100 percent, without a doubt, that it was a murder suicide.”

According to neighbours, the couple were nice but also ultra-private, wit Stuart’s wife Betsy saying: “Very private people, kept to themselves.

Neighbours say the couple were very private.

“They came over and introduced themselves when they moved in about two years ago, and then we never heard from them again. We didn’t even know she was pregnant.”

The neighbour couple’s son, Brad Stuart, also lives nearby and was woken up by all the commotion.

“Our dog Bruno just started going bananas at 6:45," he recalled. "I woke up to the dog freaking out, and I figured he really had to go out, so I took him out for a walk, and that’s when the police and the EMS and everybody rolled up.

“They’re very nice people, very pleasant, and they moved in about two years ago, and I’ve seen them maybe twice since then. It’s horrible.

"How can he go on, losing your whole family all at once? How could she do that? It’s unbelievable.”

An acquaintance of Cascetta also wrote on Facebook: “A shocking & terrible tragedy. She was a star in her field, dedicated and lovely, whip smart and a competitive athlete.

"I don’t know what was happening in her life that she felt this was the best end to her story, but I know a large community of survivors, patients and colleagues are broken hearted. I will sorely miss her. She deeply cared for her patients and I am grateful that I was one.”

If you have been affected by the contents of this article or are struggling in any way call Samaritans for free on 116 123 or visit

Featured Image Credit: Facebook / Instagram

Topics: US News, News