Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Bonfire Night: Mum Shares Clever Hack To Stop Kids Burning Themselves On Sparklers

Published 
| Last updated 

Bonfire Night: Mum Shares Clever Hack To Stop Kids Burning Themselves On Sparklers

With Bonfire Night just round the corner, we can’t wait to bundle up in our big coats, get outside and watch some fireworks.

Whether you’re going down the park to watch a professionally prepared display, or having a more low-key affair in your own garden, it’s vital that our little ones are kept safe while around fireworks.

While children love getting involved on the night by playing with sparklers, there’s still a danger that smaller children may burn themselves – which could result in tears and sore fingers.

Sparklers may hurt little fingers (Credit: Unsplash)
Sparklers may hurt little fingers (Credit: Unsplash)
Advert

However, one savvy parent has seemingly solved the sparklers sitch, with an idea we hail as genius.

Taking to the Facebook group Family Lowdown Tips & Ideas, Francesca Ross shared a photo of a stack of sparklers firmly wedged into some potatoes.

The mum claims at the spuds help littler ones play more safely with sparklers as they don’t have to hold the metal end, which could burn them.

The potato hack went down a treat on Facebook (Credit: Facebook)
The potato hack went down a treat on Facebook (Credit: Facebook)
Advert

"With Bonfire Night coming up I thought I'd share the potato trick we just did for the sparklers," she said.

“Worked amazing for the little toddlers.”

And many people are keen to try the veggie ‘hack’.

“Great idea!” wrote one, while a second added: “Omg, that’s amazing.”

Advert

Francesca isn’t the only person who suggests using veggies for kids using sparklers.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service has advised that using a carrot is an easier and safer way to use sparklers.

Children under five shouldnt use sparklers (Credit: Unsplash)
Children under five shouldnt use sparklers (Credit: Unsplash)

The London Fire Brigade says that sparklers shouldn’t be given to children under fives, and should be dropped in water to cool down as they can retain their heat for a long time after they’ve gone out.

Advert

“It’s important to be careful with using sparklers, particularly with children, as they can stay hot enough to cause serious burns even after they burn out,” a London Fire Brigade spokesperson told Tyla

“Carefully read the instructions and make sure that they’re completely out and cooled down before throwing them away.

“Make sure you always buy sparklers and other fireworks from a reputable, licensed seller and always look for a CE mark to make sure they’re safe.”

Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock

Topics: Life, News, Parenting

Kimberley Bond
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

BREAKING: Archie Battersbee’s Parents Win Appeal To Have Case Reconsidered

an hour ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

BREAKING: Ghislaine Maxwell Receives Sentence Of 20 Years For Sex Trafficking

21 hours ago