tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Mum whose partner and five children died in house fire urges every parent to 'check your smoke alarms'
Home>News
Published 13:43 7 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Mum whose partner and five children died in house fire urges every parent to 'check your smoke alarms'

The devastated mother lost five sons and her partner when a fire tore through their home

Claire Reid

Claire Reid

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: 7News

Topics: Australia, News

Claire Reid
Claire Reid

Claire is a journalist at Tyla who, after dossing around for a few years, went to Liverpool John Moores University. She graduated with a degree in Journalism and a whole load of debt. When not writing words in exchange for money she is usually at home watching serial killer documentaries surrounded by cats.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A devastated young mum who lost her partner and five children in a house fire is urging other parents to check their smoke alarms.

A fire tore through the family’s home in Russell Island, Queensland, Australia, on Sunday (6 August) at around 6am.

Samantha Stephenson, 28, managed to escape the blaze with a 21-year-old relative - believed to be her sister - but when she tried to run back inside, her partner Wayne Godinet, 34, stopped her and instead went back himself.

According to the Daily Mail, Godinet then became trapped in an upstairs room with twins Kyza and Koa, aged four, his three-year-old son Nicky, and stepsons, Zack, 11 and Harry, 10.

Advert

Later on Sunday, police confirmed that six bodies had been found in the building.

The house was devastated by the fire.
7 News

Superintendent Mat Kelly said on Sunday: “These are young boys that could have become men in the future and a man has lost his life as well.

“We are still speaking with this lady, who has lost her entire family. It is truly tragic.”

Lilly Slate, a friend of Ms Stephenson, set up a GoFundMe to help the heartbroken mum with expenses, including the cost of six funerals.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, she said: “Samantha just wants the world to know - check your smoke alarms and hold your babies.”

Peter MacLoughlin, a close family friend, told the media: “Sam came running out of the house. She was just screaming 'my children, my children,' I can never forgot that.”

As yet, its not known what started the blaze, and investigation is ongoing.

Kelly added: “This is obviously a distressing and difficult time for them because it is a small community, and of course, everybody pretty well knows everybody else.”

Assistant Commissioner and QLD Fire and Emergency Services said: “It’s obviously one of the worst fires we’ve had for quite a long time.”

Wayne Godinet and the five children all died in the fire.
7 News

The family had lived in the area for around four years, and the two eldest children attended the local primary school.

In a letter to parents, principal of Russell Island State School Leanne McMahon said the community was thinking of the family.

The letter read: “Many of you will be aware of a tragic house fire this morning in our community. It has been reported that some residents, including young people, remain unaccounted for. We extend our sincere sympathies to the affected families and their loved ones at this difficult time.

“As a community, we will rally together and support each other through this challenging period.”

Choose your content:

9 hours ago
10 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    British radio station issues apology after wrongly announcing King Charles III's death

    The Station Manager of Radio Caroline, Peter Moore, took to Facebook to issue a statement following the major blunder

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Father pays devastating tribute to three daughters who all died in Brighton beach incident

    The identities of the three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been released

    News
  • Instagram/@meghan
    10 hours ago

    Heartwarming meaning behind Prince Harry's anniversary gift to Meghan Markle

    Meghan shared a rare family moment as their anniversary celebrations took an unexpected turn

    News
  • Gisela Schober/Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Channel 4 boss says she is 'deeply sorry’ over MAFS UK rape allegations

    Priya Dogra, the chief executive of Channel 4, insisted welfare across the broadcaster is still 'hugely important'

    News
  • Mum who had baby with partner after he died says she was judged online for decision