To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Mum makes terrifying warning against bath plugs after toddler son almost died

Mum makes terrifying warning against bath plugs after toddler son almost died

The mum issued a warning over bath plugs after the tot fell asleep in the bath

A traumatised mum was given the fright of her life last year when her four-year-old son ran into her bedroom at night, alerting her that his younger brother was in the bathroom and needed 'urgent help'.

Realising her worst nightmare, the mother of-two looked across the hall to see the bath overflowing with water - her son Archie, two, dangling limply on the side of the tub.

In a story shared on Instagram by Tiny Hearts Education - a team of experts creating courses and products based around baby safety and infant first aid - the scarred woman opened up on the heart-stopping moment she feared she'd lost her little boy.

"At 4am in the morning our 4 year old son came running down to our bedroom shouting that his brother was in the bath and needed urgent help," the social media post read.

"We found our cheeky, adventurous 2 year old in the bath fully clothed with nappy and everything on.

"He had pulled up a stool to climb in (he’s never climbed in on his own before) put the plug in, turned the tap on and the bath was overflowing and the bathroom was flooding."

The mother went on to admit that the 'scariest part' of the incident that almost killed her son was that the tot had 'clearly been trying to get out for a while'.

She says it was clear that the tot had 'given up and was tired', adding: "He was kneeling on his knees and falling asleep in the water."

The youngster almost died in the bath. (Instagram/@tinyheartseducation)
The youngster almost died in the bath. (Instagram/@tinyheartseducation)

"If our 4 year old hadn’t of woken up I can’t even think about what we may have woken up to," she went on.

"Obviously there’s been a lock put on the bathroom door now and the plug is also in a locked cupboard.

"So many parents shared that they never would of thought of this either and they too have their plugs left on the bench or close to the bath."

The scarred mother continued by expressing her gratitude that her eldest child had woken up, being that she and her husband would never have heard as their bedroom is at the other end of their house.

"Our 4 year old is such a heavy sleeper too so it’s honestly a miracle he woke up," she went on.

"We had Archie (cheeky 2 year old) checked by a medical professional and thank god he’s absolutely fine! A few minutes more and this could of been a very different story."

The mother is warning other parents to remove their bath plugs. (Instagram/@tinyheartseducation)
The mother is warning other parents to remove their bath plugs. (Instagram/@tinyheartseducation)

The mother revealed she'd since purchased an alarm sensor to put on his door to alert her and her husband if he left his bedroom.

She also hopes her story will serve as a warning to other mums and dads who have bathtubs and plugs in their homes.

"Honestly I consider myself to be REALLY on top of child safety," she insisted. "Every cupboard is locked, every piece of furniture is anchored or mounted to the wall and every effort is taken to ensure the safety of our kids at all time but I honestly just never though of locking away the plug."

She warned: "All it takes is a few cm of water and 20 seconds for a child to drown. Please keep bath plugs safely out of reach of your little ones."

Featured Image Credit: Instagram/@tinyheartseducation

Topics: Parenting, Life, Real Life, True Life