To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Mum’s Warning After Garden ‘Friend’ Leaves Four-Year-Old In Agony

Mum’s Warning After Garden ‘Friend’ Leaves Four-Year-Old In Agony

Everyone needs to know about this!

A mum has issued a warning to other parents after her toddler developed a severe rash after touching an insect 'friend' he had met in his garden.

Four-year-old Oliver had been playing outside when he found a dark brown caterpillar. Wanting to make friends with the insect, adorable Oliver even made a little house for the bug.

A mum has issued a warning to other parents after her toddler developed a severe rash (

But just half an hour later, the little one was complaining about a painful stinging sensation on his face and mouth. The next day, Oliver woke up with severe hives and rashes all over his body.

Oliver's mum, Caroline Gel, from Steventon, is now warning other parents to be careful of the dangers of the seemingly harmless insects.

"Oliver was learning about caterpillars at school as his class were reading the whole hungry caterpillar story," said Caroline, 43.

"So he went outside to play last week and took a caterpillar down off a tree. He even made a little house for it! Then around half an hour later, he was complaining about a sting on his face and mouth – my husband had recently cut the grass, so I thought it might have been a grass allergy or something."

Caroline is warning other parents about what happened (

Despite Caroline's efforts, the family were shocked when Oliver woke up with severe rashes the next day.

Caroline continued: "It was so bad particularly around his face and mouth, but it was all over his front and back too!

"We took him to the doctors and they said they were unsure of the cause but suggested it might have been hives, so gave him antihistamines to help with the inflammation."

Desperate to know how the rash could have occurred, Caroline Googled the caterpillar and found it was a brown-tail moth caterpillar.

This particular species has urticating hairs that cause an irritant effect – when they are in contact with human skin, they sometimes can result in breathing difficulties, rashes and hives.

The caterpillars can also be particularly harmful to dogs, with experts at the Kennel Store warning pet owners to be vigilant.

Oliver had been playing with the caterpillar in the garden (Stock

"Oliver is always outside and is very curious," said Caroline. "Normally I would never discourage him from touching things – but these insects are not very nice ones, so I want to spread the word and make sure other people don't touch these caterpillars, especially children."

Caroline said Oliver still has rashes but they are gradually improving.

She added: "Oliver was very excited about caterpillars but not anymore – he's very vocal to people now telling them not to touch them."

We're wishing Oliver the speediest recovery.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS/Alamy

Topics: Life, Parenting