Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Mum Calls For Disposable BBQs To Be Banned On Beaches After Son Tears Achilles Tendon

Lucy Devine

Published 
| Last updated 

Mum Calls For Disposable BBQs To Be Banned On Beaches After Son Tears Achilles Tendon

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Warning - this article contains graphic content

A mum is calling for disposable barbecues to be banned from beaches after her 12-year-old son ripped his achilles tendon on one that was buried in the sand.

Lucy Gotellier's son Alex had been on a school trip to Camber Sands in East Sussex when he tripped and fell onto a disposable barbecue. The incident severed his achilles tendon, with Lucy explaining doctors believe the metal cut through between half and 70 percent of the tendon.

Alex tripped and fell onto a disposable barbecue. Credit: SWNS
Alex tripped and fell onto a disposable barbecue. Credit: SWNS

"He had to be carried off the beach by his teachers. There was blood everywhere. He was in a lot of pain and shock," says Lucy.

Alex, from Kent, was taken to A&E where he was admitted overnight. Doctors were able to operate and stitch up his tendon, but he will remain in a cast for the next six weeks, and his injury could affect him long-term.

Poor Alex will even miss his summer cricket course and cannot manage full days at school.

“If he'd had to wait I think it might not have gone so well and Alex would probably be in bad pain," says Lucy.

"He's really upset about it. His injury could affect him long-term, but we will have to wait and see. Everyone was so shocked when it happened.

"People need to know how dangerous disposable barbecues are and I think they should be banned."

Lucy Gotellier's son Alex had been on a school trip to Camber Sands when he tripped and fell onto a disposable barbecue. Credit: SWNS
Lucy Gotellier's son Alex had been on a school trip to Camber Sands when he tripped and fell onto a disposable barbecue. Credit: SWNS

Lucy says Alex is improving and recovering well at home, adding that he was even able to come off painkillers by 1 July.

Lucy is hoping that the incident will raise awareness over how dangerous disposable barbecues can be when left on the beach.

“The people who left the barbecue on the beach were deeply irresponsible," Lucy continues.

“They need to know their behaviour causes damage, hence why I am raising awareness.”

A ban on single-use barbecues on beaches and open spaces was brought into force Brighton last week - anyone not complying could be hit with a fixed penalty notice.

Alex is recovering from the injury at home. Credit: SWNS
Alex is recovering from the injury at home. Credit: SWNS

Just last month, we told you how another mum issued a warning to others after her son ended up in hospital with burns on his foot from stepping on scorching-hot sand.

Kerensa Long asked beachgoers to be extra vigilant in making sure their bonfires and barbecues are properly put out after her four-year-old, Ezekiel, suffered a devastating burn to the sole of his foot.

You can read more about that here.

Topics: Health, News

Lucy Devine
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Beauty

Sephora is finally opening in the UK

4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

New Netflix horror series just broke world record for most jump scares in single episode

6 hours ago