Giovanni Pernice publicly snubs Amanda Abbington after she quit Strictly
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Credit: Karwai Tang/WireImage/BBC
TV star Amanda Abbington left Strictly fans reeling this week, after she announced her decision to step down from the hit BBC series.
Her professional partner Giovanni Pernice was subsequently quick to pay tribute to her time on the show in an emotional statement posted to Instagram.
"Amanda .. I am so sad we can’t continue but I am proud of what we achieved and I am sending you so much love @amanda_abbington74 @bbcstrictly," he wrote on Tuesday (24 October), with the shocking news being broken to viewers on It Takes Two the evening prior.
Despite being a Strictly frontrunner to bag this year's Glitterball Trophy, former Sherlock actor Amanda the same day told her Instagram followers she hadn't taken the decision 'lightly', while simultaneously thanking the show's production team.
"It is with deepest regret that I had to leave Strictly," she explained
"I did not come to this decision easily or lightly but for personal reasons I am unable to continue," Amanda, 51, added.
"It was an absolute joy working with my fellow contestants, they are a beautiful, hardworking and talented group of people who I love and who I will miss seeing every Friday and Saturday and competing alongside."
Amanda went on to thank 'everyone on Strictly who looked after me and who are so kind and caring,' failing to mention her professional partner Giovanni, 33.
Many of the couple's BBC co-stars flooded to the comment section to wish Amanda well in the future, professing their sadness at the prospect of not performing alongside her on Saturday night.
Fellow contestant and tennis star Annabel Croft gushed: "Sending you all the love [heart emoji] we will miss you so much xx".
Strictly professional Amy Dowden added: "Going to miss you," while Neil Jones continued: "We love you and will miss you, you and so talented and a beautiful soul."
Another contestant Zara McDermott also commented: "Going to miss you so much [heart emoji], my beautiful friend forever."
In fact, one of the only individuals who seemingly chose NOT to comment on Amanda's post was her partner Giovanni.
Her departure from the show comes after the couple missed their last performance on Saturday (21 October) reportedly due to 'medical reasons'.
Her absence was addressed on the show with presenter Claudia Winkleman telling viewers: "Now as you may have noticed, Amanda and Giovanni are missing from the lineup. Due to medical reasons Amanda is unable to perform this week."
And fellow presenter Tess Daly also acknowledged the actor's absence over the weekend, saying: "As per the rules of the competition she has been given a bye and all being well will return to the ballroom next weekend."
Amanda is yet to detail the reasoning between her shock exit from the show, despite rumours swirling that a feud between her and Giovanni had pushed her over the edge.
Earlier this month, it was claimed that Amanda had been left miserable over the Italian dancer's 'strict and aggressive style and attitude', but appearing on It Takes Two later on, she quashed the rumours, insisting the two are close friends.
"We laugh a lot, we have the same sense of humour which is really important," she previously told hosts Janette Manrara and Fleur East. "So we'll come out, work hard, and then we just laugh, don't we."
Tyla has contacted Giovanni's and Amanda's representatives for comment.