TV Chef James Martin has been diagnosed with cancer
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: ITV
TV chef James Martin has been a regular staple to our screens since starring in BBC’s Saturday Kitchen Live from 2006.
Now, it’s been revealed that the 51-year-old is undergoing ‘regular treatment’ for cancer. This comes following a recent audio leak from a 2018 production.
Martin underwent surgery for cancer on his face that year, but has said the health condition has returned several times.
He’s now bravely opened up about the struggle after reports emerged of him having ‘bullying’ and ‘intimidating’ behaviour on the set of one of his food travel shows, James Martin’s Spanish Adventure.
The leaked audio appeared to reveal him having a foul-mouthed rant against staff because of a ‘blocked drained at his home’.
Martin swore 42 times during the incident, which he now calls ‘one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life’.
The TV chef added: "I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn't do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming.
“Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments."
He presented Saturday Kitchen until 2016, before starting ITV’s Saturday Morning with James Martin.
Martin has been a part of many TV projects, from revamping the menu and catering at hospitals for BBC’s Operation Hospital Food to judging Junior Bake Off.
The chef says he’s expressed his remorse for the bad-mouthed 2018 incident to his crew.
He explained: “I have always strived to keep my private life private. However since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement.
"The end of 2017 was one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life.
"I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments I could not attend his funeral.
"Later that month, I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working.
"I was devastated that she had to go through that alone."
When approached for comment, Martin's production company, Blue Marlin Television, accepted responsibility for the incident.
In a statement to Tyla, they said: "An unfortunate incident occurred after filming James Martin's Saturday Morning in 2018 where James' home was badly damaged. Blue Marlin Television accepted responsibility.
"James was shocked by what had happened and on reflection acknowledges he responded emotionally, which he wholly regrets. James apologises for any offence or upset caused, as he did at the time to the crew involved.
"Following this and some issues filming James Martin’s Spanish Adventures, James and Blue Marlin Television agree that lessons have been learned which have been discussed with members of the team and with ITV.
"Blue Marlin Television and James Martin have taken on board ITV's recommendations and their sharing of best practice, and are in the process of fully implementing.
"Since the 2018 incident, Blue Marlin Television has continued to film over 500 shows at James’ home.
"Blue Marlin Television remains committed to ensuring the welfare of all those with whom they work is of the utmost priority."
For advice, support and information regarding cancer, visit Macmillan Cancer Support's website here or call 0808 808 00 00.