| Last updated
Channel 5 released a statement apologising on Sunday following backlash it received for its new docu-series, Celebrities: What Happened To Your Face?
Charlotte Crosby's episode of the rather crassly named show, which - according to the broadcaster's own website - highlights "the facial flaws of the famous", was also removed from the Channel 5 on demand viewing service, My5.
The doc saw presenters analyse Charlotte's appearance with a fine tooth comb, and comment on how her face has changed since she shot to fame.
The Geordie Shore star told fans that Channel 5 and Crackit Productions had been contacted by her agent on multiple occasions asking that they didn't go ahead with the original broadcast (on 22nd April), but her calls fell on deaf ears.
"In 2021, a main UK channel and production company believed it would be a good use of airtime, to dissect my physical appearance," she said.
Charlotte, who has always been candid about her cosmetic procedures, added that she'd had a "public battle with [her] appearance" over the years, and has had to go through "personal trauma and issues of self-confidence in the spot-light".
"One quick google or look at my Instagram page, you'll see how intensely I've been targeted by trolls," she went on. "And how I've learnt to ignore the hate, focus on the positive and work on loving myself again."
The Celebrity Big Brother winner said she first found out that the show had been commissioned in March 2020, and had been working with her "appalled" agent to stop it ever since, branding the doc "immoral and insensitive".
Not only did Channel 5 allegedly ignore her pleas, but they are also said to have ignored assurances of "how detrimental [airing the doc] would be to [Charlotte's] mental health."
She concluded: "That hour could have been used to host a mental health documentary. That hour could have educated the public in the many issues and good causes which need publicity.
"That hour didn't need to go after a 31-year-old woman for her appearance, choices, and 'rubber lips.'"
"I saw this show advertised and couldn't believe it's actually been given the go ahead!," wrote one person on Twitter as they saw Charlotte's statement. "It's bullying on a massive scale! Normally Channel 5 programmes aren't too bad, but this show is disgusting and @channel5_tv should hang their heads in shame!"
While another agreed: "This is quite despicable. I don't care how 'public' a person is, to spend an hour degrading them like this is unacceptable. Everyone involved in this should be deeply ashamed."
A third wrote: "Charlotte, I for one will be writing a letter of complaint to Channel 5 about this show. As you allude to, in this era of 'be kind' when mental health awareness is such a huge issue, a programme like this is simple mean, immoral & disgusting. Stay strong. x"
In response to the criticism, a statement from the broadcaster read: "Channel 5 and the programme's producers, Crackit Productions, take duty of care very seriously.
"While we acknowledge that the programme was Ofcom compliant, we have taken on board Charlotte's feedback and removed the episode from our streaming platform My5."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read