
After being told by a competitor she has 'no class' and 'no education' earlier this week, tennis champion Taylor Townsend has been praised for her level-headed response.
The 29-year-old American went head-to-head with Latvian athlete Jelena Ostapenko during a second-round match at the US Open on Wednesday (27 Aug), before landing a spectacular 7-5, 6-1 win.
In the initial moments following Townsend's personal celebration, she and Ostapenko approached one another in the middle of the court to shake hands. Seconds later, however, fiery yells could be heard across the court.
The row between the two female players was reportedly sparked after Ostapenko told Townsend that she should say apologise for a shot that clipped the top of the net but stayed in play.
Advert

"No, I don't have to say sorry," the American appeared to reply in post-match footage.
Ostapenko continued pointing her finger at Townsend, however, who was allegedly told she has 'no class, I have no education and to see what happens when we get outside the US, so I'm looking forward to it'.
"I mean, I beat her in Canada, outside the US I beat her in New York [inside] the US, so let's see what else she has to say," she added.
Advert
As we say, Townsend has since been commended by sports fans after another angle of the court-side row was leaked online.
In newly-released footage, after her 'class' and 'education' are called into question by Ostapenko, the Latvian tells her competitor: "Whatever you want to say but you can learn how to take a loss better."
Townsend went on to add: "Thank you so much. Great job. Great play."
Advert
Following the outburst, Ostapenko has since been accused of using racial undertones in her on-court remarks.
Advert
On this accusation, Townsend previously told press: "I'm very proud as a black woman being out here representing myself and representing us and our culture.
"I make sure that I do everything that I can to be the best representation possible every time that I step on the court and even off the court."
She continued: "So I can't speak on how she felt about it. That's something that you're going to have to ask her. I didn't take it in that way, but also, that has been a stigma in our community of being not educated and all of the things when it's the furthest thing from the truth."
The American went on to assure her fans: "There's no beef. But again, like you guys saw, I didn't back down because you're not going to insult me, especially after I carried myself a certain type of way with nothing but respect.
Advert

"If I show respect to you, I expect respect as well. That's just the fact of the matter."
Whilst maintaining that her transatlantic competitor was 'very disrespectful' in refusing to apologise after 'she had a net ball in a very deciding moment', Ostapenko has shut down accusations of discrimination.
"Wow how many messages I received that I am a racist," the Latvian later wrote on Instagram. "I was NEVER racist in my life and I respect all nations of people in the world, for me it doesn't matter where you come from.
"There are some rules in tennis and unfortunately when the crowd is with you you can't use it in disrespectful way to your opponent."
Ostapenko's message concluded: "Unfortunately for me coming from such a small country I don't have that huge support and a chance to play in homeland. I always loved to play in the US and US OPEN, but this is the first time someone is approaching the match this disrespectful way."

LADbible Group has approached Ostapenko's reps for additional comment.
If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, contact Stop Hate UK by visiting their website www.stophateuk.org.
Topics: News, Sport, US News, World News, Instagram