Prince William and Kate release first statement following the Queen’s death
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Agencja Fotograficzna Caro/Alamy Stock Photo/@duke and Duchess of Cambridge/Instagram
The monarch died peacefully on Thursday, 8 September, aged 96 at Balmoral, following news that doctors were 'concerned' over her health.
The statement from the couple, shared via Twitter today (10 September), reads: "On Thursday, the world lost an extraordinary leader, whose commitment to the country, the Realms and the Commonwealth was absolute. So much will be said in the days ahead about the meaning of her historic reign.
"I, however, have lost a grandmother. And while I will grieve her loss, I also feel incredibly grateful. I have had the benefit of The Queen's wisdom and reassurance into my fifth decade.
"My wife has had twenty years of her guidance and support. My three children have got to spend holidays with her and create memories that will last their whole lives.
"She was by my side at my happiest moments. And she was by my side during the saddest days of my life."
The statement continues: "I knew this day would come, but it will be some time before the reality of life without Grannie will truly feel real.
"I thank her for the kindness she showed my family and me. And I thank he on behalf of my generation for providing an example of service and dignity in public life that was from a different age, but always relevant to us all.
"My grandmother famously said that grief was the price we pay for love. All of the sadness we will feel in the coming weeks will be testament to the love we felt for our extraordinary Queen.
"I will honour her memory by supporting my father, The King, in every way I can."
Now that Charles is set to be crowned King Charles III and Camilla will take on the title of Queen Consort, William and Kate will now be known as the Prince and Princess of Wales.
In addition to their Cambridge titles, which they took on after their wedding in 2011, the couple will now add Cornwall to their titles.
The couple have already updated their social media handles to 'The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge.'
The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) September 8, 2022
The King and The Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/VfxpXro22W
Their kids will subsequently be known as Prince George of Cornwall and Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cornwall and Cambridge and Prince Louis of Cornwall and Cambridge.
William and Kate's statement follows that of King Charles III's.
Just hours after the Queen's death was announced on Thursday, King Charles III issued a statement which read: "The death of my beloved mother, Her Majesty The Queen, is a moment of the greatest sadness for me and all members of my family.
"We mourn profoundly the passing of a cherished Sovereign and a much-loved mother.
"I know her loss will be deeply felt throughout the country, the Realms and the Commonwealth, and by countless people around the world.
"During this period of mourning and change, my family and I will be comforted and sustained by our knowledge of the respect and deep affection in which The Queen was so widely held."
At 73, he will be the oldest monarch ever to take the British throne.
The death of the Queen marks a huge moment in history; having ascended to the throne in 1952, she was the longest reigning British monarch, going on to become the longest-serving female head of state ever as she celebrated her Platinum Jubilee earlier this year.
Despite having taken a step back from several public duties in recent years, Queen Elizabeth II continued her service well into her old age, regularly touring and visiting parts of the UK and Northern Ireland, as well as other parts of the Commonwealth, where she was head of state.