Vets Issue Urgent Warning To Owners After Himalayan Salt Lamp 'Almost Kills' Cat
A veterinary practice has issued an 'urgent' warning to pet owners after a cat was almost killed from licking a salt lamp.
Experts at Rose Avenue Vet Hospital in New South Wales, Australia, told how Ruby the cat nearly died as a result of 'severe salt poisoning' thought to have been caused by the animal licking her trendy Himalayan salt lamp.
At first, the pet's owner Maddie Smith (who is based in New Zealand) noticed Ruby was 'walking really strangely' and had her head in an 'odd position' but couldn't work out what was wrong with her.
But after the cat 'deteriorated dramatically', the owners rushed her to the vets who confirmed she was suffering from neurological problems as she could not hear, see, eat or drink and had lost the use of her tongue.
Salt is poisonous to both cats and dogs; according to the Pet Poison Helpline it can lead to "vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, lethargy, incoordination, excessive thirst or urination". And, "in severe cases, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death are possible."
Maddie recalled how the vet ran tests on the 'helpless' animal, with the results showing extremely high sodium levels in her blood, suggesting a case of 'severe salt poisoning' had caused her brain to swell.
The distraught owner believes the damage was caused by the salt lamp she kept in her lounge, a problem normally associated with dogs, and was told by vets that salt poisoning can be 'extremely deadly to animals' with Ruby lucky to be alive.
In a message to fellow pet owners, Maddie wrote: "These salt lamps are addictive to animals, and if they get a taste it becomes just like potato chips are to us!
"So please please keep these out of reach from your fur babies. Ruby still has a long road to recovery but we are so glad she's still here with us, with the right nutrition and hydration we should have her back to normal.
"Ruby wouldn't be here today without the help of First Vets who have helped her with every hurdle we have faced with our Ruby the past 11 months we have had her. She's a fighter that's for sure!"
She added: "Hopefully sharing this might help educate others on just how deadly these lamps can be if the salt is ingested. I know mines not staying in our house that's for sure."
Featured Image Credit: Maddie Smith/ Rose Avenue Vet Hospital