• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Government staff given strict instructions on what to do about email sent out by Elon Musk

Home> News> Politics

Updated 18:29 24 Feb 2025 GMTPublished 18:21 24 Feb 2025 GMT

Government staff given strict instructions on what to do about email sent out by Elon Musk

Several department directors have since issued warnings

Rhianna Benson

Rhianna Benson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Key government officials have reportedly issued a warning to employees, instructing them not to reply to any emails sent out by Elon Musk.

As per the Washington Post, the 53-year-old sent out an ultimatum to federal workers in several departments over the weekend - including the State Department, the FBI, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Veterans Affairs Department - threatening people's jobs.

The tech boss was appointed by Donald Trump as one of his Department of Government Efficiency co-leads, after which he was accused of planning a 'hostile takeover'.

Meeting with the Republican leader in the White House earlier this month, Musk described cuts to government funding as 'common sense' measures, and insisted they are 'not draconian or radical'.

Advert

Elon Musk is one of Department of Government Efficiency co-leads (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Elon Musk is one of Department of Government Efficiency co-leads (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Not only has Trump handed Musk's team the authority to access the system responsible for all government payments, but they'll also be able to access sensitive databases and private medical records.

The DOGE role will also allow Musk to circumvent conflict of interest/transparency requirements.

With that in mind, Musk seemingly started where he means to go on this week, by sending an email to several members of government staff, ordering them to comply within 48 hours or risk being let go.

All staff received a cryptic email from an account simply titled 'HR', which contained an extremely short message.

"What did you do last week?" the subject line read, before the email said: "Please reply to this email with approx. 5 bullets of what you accomplished last week and cc your manager."

Musk sent out an email to several members of government staff (X)
Musk sent out an email to several members of government staff (X)

Musk's latest demand also saw staff asked not to include links, attachments or classified information, and given a deadline to send over the information by 11.59pm on Monday.

On X, Musk added: "Consistent with President @realDonaldTrump’s instructions, all federal employees will shortly receive an email requesting to understand what they got done last week.

"Failure to respond will be taken as a resignation."

As we say, however, several department leads have reportedly issued warnings, instructing their staff members not to respond.

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard reportedly sent out a subsequent email to her workforce, citing the agency's focus on sensitive and classified work.

It's said that staff from the Defence Department were also given a similar message, along with FBI personnel and Department of Homeland Security employees.

Several department directors have responded to Musk's email threat (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Several department directors have responded to Musk's email threat (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

In response to Musk's bizarre email, Tibor Nagy of the State Department wrote: "No employee is obligated to report their activities outside of their Department chain of command."

Everett Kelley - the president of the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) union - also issued a statement in response, defending his workers.

"It is cruel and disrespectful to hundreds of thousands of veterans who are wearing their second uniform in the civil service to be forced to justify their job duties to this out-of-touch, privileged, unelected billionaire who has never performed one single hour of honest public service in his life," he said.

Featured Image Credit: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Topics: US News, Politics, Donald Trump, Elon Musk

Rhianna Benson
Rhianna Benson

Rhianna is an Entertainment Journalist at LADbible Group, working across LADbible, UNILAD and Tyla. She has a Masters in News Journalism from the University of Salford and a Masters in Ancient History from the University of Edinburgh. She previously worked as a Celebrity Reporter for OK! and New Magazines, and as a TV Writer for Reach PLC.

X

@rhiannaBjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

a day ago
  • Omer ABRAR / AFP via Getty Images
    a day ago

    Countries that have no domestic abuse laws as Afghanistan legalises it

    Hibatullah Akhundzada signed a 90-page criminal code earlier this week which sets out new laws on the punishment of citizens

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    a day ago

    US Supreme Court rule against Trump’s global tariffs

    The high court ruled that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act 'does not authorise the President to impose tariffs'

    News
  • SWNS
    a day ago

    Family of dead teenager ‘spent hours in hospital’ with the wrong boy after horrific mix-up

    The 18-year-old's family have issued a heartbreaking statement following the devastating ordeal

    News
  • Greater Manchester Police
    a day ago

    Police release audio of man handing himself in for rape

    Greater Manchester Police arrested Usama Al-Sari in September last year and he's since been sentenced to 14 years in prison

    News
  • Trump reveals what he plans to do to his Tesla after Elon Musk made bombshell claim about him
  • Trump's press secretary reveals email with five bullet points she sent following Elon Musk's demand
  • 'Disappointed' Elon Musk slams Donald Trump's spending bill in surprising remark about DOGE being 'undermined'
  • Everything Donald Trump and Elon Musk have said about each other during online argument