tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Olympics star ‘naked blue man’ breaks silence following heavy criticism over ‘appalling’ video
Home>News
Updated 11:48 29 Jul 2024 GMT+1Published 11:01 29 Jul 2024 GMT+1

Olympics star ‘naked blue man’ breaks silence following heavy criticism over ‘appalling’ video

Philippe Katerine has shared a statement following the outrage over the Paris Olympics opening ceremony

Rhiannon Ingle

Rhiannon Ingle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: X/@GavCalver/BBC

Topics: Olympics, Sport, TV And Film

Rhiannon Ingle
Rhiannon Ingle

Rhiannon Ingle is a Senior Journalist at Tyla, specialising in TV, film, travel, and culture. A graduate of the University of Manchester with a degree in English Literature, she honed her editorial skills as the Lifestyle Editor of The Mancunian, the UK’s largest student newspaper. With a keen eye for storytelling, Rhiannon brings fresh perspectives to her writing, blending critical insight with an engaging style. Her work captures the intersection of entertainment and real-world experiences.

Advert

Advert

Advert

An Olympics star dubbed the 'naked blue man' has broken their silence following heavy criticism over an apparently 'appalling' video.

The performance at the opening ceremony of the 2024 Paris Games, which took place on Friday (26 July), has sparked outrage from church leaders and conservative politicians due to its perceived comparisons to Leonardo da Vinci’s depiction of a biblical scene in 'The Last Supper' with some branding it a 'mockery' of Christianity.

French singer and actor, Philippe Katerine, has responded to the criticism following the Olympics opening ceremony. (BBC)
French singer and actor, Philippe Katerine, has responded to the criticism following the Olympics opening ceremony. (BBC)

The segment featured drag queens and singer painted blue sitting on a dinner plate surrounded by fruit made up as the Greek god of wine, Dionysus.

Advert

The French Bishops’ Conference, which represents the country’s Catholic bishops, was among critics who claimed the ceremony featured 'scenes of derision and mockery of Christianity' which they 'deeply deplore'.

Since then, the French actor and singer at the centre of the performance, Philippe Katerine, has broken his silence on the matter telling BFM TV: "It wouldn't be fun if there were no controversy.

"Wouldn't it be boring if everyone agreed on this planet?"

Katerine also told French newspaper, Le Parisien, that he was 'proud' of the performance, continuing: "I suffered a lot but I loved it. I'm proud. It’s my culture.

"We’re full of different people and everyone lives their own way and, above all, has the right to do so. I loved doing it."

Meanwhile, the event's organisers have clarified that the segment was not inspired by The Last Supper.

The artistic director of the opening ceremony, Thomas Jolly, stated: "I did not intend to be subversive or to mock or shock … In France we can believe or not believe, in France we have a lot of rights and I wanted to convey those values throughout the ceremony."

The IOC has taken note of and welcomes the clarification given by the Paris 2024 Organising Committee regarding the Opening Ceremony. pic.twitter.com/kEB9zyw3Ue

— IOC MEDIA (@iocmedia) July 28, 2024

Jolly told French broadcaster BFM: "The idea was to do a big pagan party linked to the gods of Olympus."

He continued: "You'll never find in my work any desire to mock or denigrate anyone. I wanted a ceremony that brings people together, that reconciles, but also a ceremony that affirms our Republican values of liberty, equality and fraternity."

Paris 2024 spokeswoman Anne Descamps added: "Clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group.

"On the contrary, I think Thomas Jolly did try to intend to celebrate community tolerance. We believe this ambition was achieved. If people have taken any offence, we of course are really sorry."

Choose your content:

22 hours ago
23 hours ago
a day ago
  • YouTube/ Kirklees Council Live Streaming
    22 hours ago

    Newly-elected Reform councillor makes concerning confession during first meeting

    Sarah Wood raised concerns after objecting to a vote during the chaotic meeting

    News
  • war.gov/UFO
    23 hours ago

    The White House releases top secret UFO files and images

    A second batch of files has been released by the government, referring to 'fireballs' and more

    News
  • Chris Jackson/Getty Images
    a day ago

    Royal ‘objected’ to ‘common’ Kate Middleton marrying Prince William

    Royal author Christopher Andersen has alleged that one member of the royal family was among 'Kate’s fiercest critics'

    News
  • Mustafa Ciftci/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
    a day ago

    Warning over when it's too hot to walk your dog as heatwave looms

    The upcoming bank holiday weekend is set to see the hottest day of the year so far in the UK

    News
  • Simone Biles breaks silence with apology following feud over trans athletes
  • Virgin Island sexpert breaks silence after being forced to end naked session due to contestant's shocking comment
  • Alix Earle breaks silence on Braxton Berrios split as she reveals why they broke up
  • Selling Sunset’s Nicole breaks silence after being fired over 'sick' remark about Chrishell Stause’s late parents