To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Woman found trapped and screaming for help after going missing for a week

Woman found trapped and screaming for help after going missing for a week

Police had used helicopters and dogs to try and find Emma Tetewsky before she was eventually discovered

A 31-year-old woman who had been missing for a week was eventually found stuck in the mud and screaming for help in a state park.

Emma Tetewsky was first reported missing at around midday on 26 June, after being last seen at her home in Stoughton, about 20 miles south of Boston, US.

Police knew Emma was known to visit the Pinewood Pond in Stoughton and Lake Massapoag in the nearby town of Sharon, so they began their search and within two days had brought in other agencies, including the Massachusetts State Police and the police departments in Easton, Westwood and Quincy, Mass., to help.

Police used dogs and helicopters to aid their search.

Authorities searched the ground with the help of police dogs and deployed helicopters to help try and track down the missing woman, who did not have a mobile phone with her.

Knowing Tetewsky had a history of mental health issues, police appealed to the public for help.

Chief Donna M. McNamara, of the Stoughton police, encouraged people to aid the search by checking 'under any canoes or rafts you may have, if you have an outbuilding, shed, under the porch, anywhere she may seek shelter'.

It wasn't until Monday (3 July) that Emma was finally found, when hikers at Borderland State Park heard someone screaming for help.

The hikers weren't able to reach Emma on foot without assistance so they called the authorities to the park, which is known for its fishing ponds and hiking and biking trails.

Emma Tetewsky was reported missing after she didn't come home the day prior.
Stoughton Police Department

In an update after Emma was found, Stoughton police said officers with the Easton police department arrived at the scene, and could hear Emma, but not see her.

Three officers then waded 50 feet from the shore into an area of swamp, where they were able to locate Emma stuck in the mud.

Easton police officers used ATVs to pull Emma from her surroundings, after which she was carried to land and evaluated by firefighters before being taken to hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

The 31-year-old was conscious and alert when she was found, but police believe she might have been trapped in the mud for three days.

Following her discovery, Stoughton police expressed their thanks to those who joined the search.

"There were so many agencies involved in the search for Emma over the last week. We thank everyone involved," they said on Facebook. "The public never gave up hope that she would be located safely. She could not have been located without the public's help."

Featured Image Credit: Stoughton Police Department / Easton Police

Topics: US News, Life