tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Man recalls ‘nightmare’ moment he realised wife had cut off his penis
Home>News
Published 13:00 17 Oct 2024 GMT+1

Man recalls ‘nightmare’ moment he realised wife had cut off his penis

John Wayne Bobbitt's story made international news back in 1991

Sara Keenan

Sara Keenan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: John Bobbitt (ABC News)

Topics: Crime, Health

Sara Keenan
Sara Keenan

Advert

Advert

Advert

John Wayne Bobbitt went through every man's worst nightmare in the early morning hours on June 23, 1993 - his wife cut off his penis.

Lorena Bobbitt, an Ecuadorian immigrant who was 24-years-old at the time, had fled the couple's Virginia apartment with her husband's penis in one hand and a knife in the other.

The former US Marine, 57, who lives in Las Vegas, had been married to his wife for four years when the horrific incident occurred.

The case is featured in a new ITV Documentary I Cut Off His Penis: The Truth Behind The Headlines, while Bobbitt has separately spoken of the nightmare moment he realised his wife had cut his penis off.

Advert

Bobbitt in the new interview (ABC News)
Bobbitt in the new interview (ABC News)

In an interview with ABC News, Bobbitt said when he woke up to discover that his wife had cut off his penis with a kitchen knife, he tried to remain calm and stop the bleeding.

"It was a nightmare," Bobbitt said in an exclusive new interview.

"I cleared my thoughts, applied pressure. I went to wake my friend up to tell him to get me to the hospital."

His friend, who had been staying over, started screaming "as soon as he saw the blood everywhere," Bobbitt said. "He was going crazy."

Bobbitt, 26 at the time, said his friend got him to Prince William Hospital within 10 minutes.

"Walking into the hospital, the [emergency room] doctor is - you know - looking at me [and says] 'show me your wrist," thinking at first all the blood had been from a wound to his arm, Bobbitt told ABC News.

He has opened up on the harrowing ordeal (ABC News)
He has opened up on the harrowing ordeal (ABC News)

"The emergency room physician comes in and looks at John's hands and wrists and says ' there's no cut there,' and of course John knew there was no cut there," Bobbitt's plastic surgeon Dr. David Berman told ABC News. "And he [the doctor] goes 'where's all the blood coming from?' and John points down below."

When the sheet covering him fell away, Bobbitt said the emergency doctor's jaw dropped.

"Really all I knew about this on the way into the hospital was that a penis had been amputated and the organ was missing," Dr. James Sehn, Bobbitt's urologist, told ABC News.

After a nine-hour surgery, Bobbitt's penis was reattached.

During the trial, wife Lorena's lawyers argued that she was driven by temporary insanity following years of physical and sexual abuse at the hands of her husband; however, he had always denied these allegations.

In 1994, she was found not guilty of malicious wounding and the couple's divorce was finalised the following year.

Choose your content:

Just now
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
22 hours ago
  • Sean Gallup/Getty Images
    Just now

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's mother Queen Elizabeth II was 'very keen' on ex-Prince taking on 'prominent role'

    Prince Andrew, as he was formerly known, was arrested by Thames Valley Police in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office

    News
  • Instagram/@yolanda.hadid
    2 hours ago

    Cases of ‘silent’ disease common among A-listers are surging in UK

    Justin Timberlake, Shania Twain, Bella Hadid, and Justin Bieber are just some of the celebrities who've opened up on their diagnosis

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Vanessa Trump shares devastating breast cancer diagnosis - here are the 8 symptoms to look out for

    Donald Trump Jr's ex-wife, Vanessa Trump, thanked doctors for their support after revealing she underwent a procedure 'earlier this week'

    News
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    22 hours ago

    British radio station issues apology after wrongly announcing King Charles III's death

    The Station Manager of Radio Caroline, Peter Moore, took to Facebook to issue a statement following the major blunder

    News