
The parents of two children who died in a school shooting while attending Mass in Minneapolis have issued heartbreaking statements. The laments come as another attack victim remains in critical condition, as per reports.
Ten-year-old Harper Moyski and Fletcher Merkel, eight, were just two of the children attending a worship service at Annunciation Catholic Church on Wednesday morning (August 27), when 23-year-old Robin Westman opened fire on them. The pair died from their injuries, authorities confirmed.
Westman, who authorities confirmed died at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, is said to have injured 18 more people, including 15 school kids aged six to 15 and three parishioners in their 80s.
Advert
BBC reported that one of the shooting victims remains in hospital in a critical condition.
CNN has reported that the assailant, who was a former pupil of the school associated with the church, had recently visited the establishment pretending to be interested in reconnecting with the Catholic faith.

It’s understood they also harboured extreme anti-religious beliefs.
Advert
FBI Director Kash Patel said his agency is investigating the crime as an ‘act of domestic terrorism and hate crime targeting Catholics.’
Officials are also continuing to assess whether the shots were fired from inside the building or outside it, noting that no casings from bullets were found inside, as per the BBC.
Data collected by CNN classified this as the 44th attack on American school students so far in 2025.
Family's of slain children issue heartbreaking statement
The family of Fletcher say they are ‘shattered’ by both the child and Harper's deaths, confessing that parents should never ‘have to endure this kind of pain’.
Advert
"Yesterday, a coward decided to take our eight-year-old son Fletcher away from us,” said Fletcher's father Jesse stated.
“Please remember Fletcher for the person he was and not the act that ended his life.”
In a statement issued to reporters on Thursday (August 28), Jesse continued: “We will never be allowed to hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming.”
Advert
He then uttered a devastating, nine-word remark: "Give your kids an extra hug and kiss today.”
"We love you. Fletcher, you'll always be with us.”
Jesse also commented on those who were injured in the attack, adding that he hoped they would ‘recover mentally and find strength to live loving, happy and full lives'.
The Merkel family hope to set up a scholarship fund in their son's name.
Advert
Meanwhile, Harper's family have described the young girl as being ‘bright, joyful, and deeply loved’. They admitted her younger sister 'adored' her and is now ‘grieving an unimaginable loss’.

The family added that they hope Harper’s memory can ‘fuel action’ to stop gun violence in the state and in the country as a whole.
“Change is possible, and it is necessary - so that Harper's story does not become yet another in a long line of tragedies.
“Harper's light will always shine through us, and we hope her memory inspires others to work toward a safer, more compassionate world.”

Baseball team and Donald Trump pay respects
Vigils for Harper, Fletcher, and those injured in the Annunciation School and Church shooting have been held across Minneapolis and neighbouring towns like St Paul.
On Wednesday, a moment of silence was held before the baseball game between the Minnesota Twins and the Toronto Blue Jays.
In a statement issued before the match, the Minnesota Twins said: “The taking of innocent lives in a place of learning and worship is incomprehensible. Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with the victims, their families and all who have been affected.
“Alongside our community, we mourn this tragedy and yearn for a future where such violence no longer shatters lives,” as per CTV News.
US President Donald Trump has also paid his respects, taking to Truth Social to write: "I have been fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
“The FBI quickly responded, and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved!”
The 79-year-old has ordered that flags will be flown at half-mast through sunset on Sunday, August 31, to honour the victims.
Topics: US News, Crime, True Crime, Donald Trump, Parenting