To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Man visits grave for first time after killing terminally ill wife who 'begged him to do it'

Man visits grave for first time after killing terminally ill wife who 'begged him to do it'

The British man laid flowers on his wife's grave in Cyprus

Warning: this article contains subject matter some readers may find upsetting.

A man has visited a grave for the first time after killing his terminally ill wife who 'begged him to do it'.

David Hunter, a retired miner, said he killed his seriously ill wife, Janice, to end her suffering and has walked free after being released from custody on Monday (31 July).

He has since been spotted visiting Janice's grave for the first time the day after being freed from prison in Cyprus after a court previously sentenced him to two years in jail for the manslaughter of his spouse of 52 years.

David Hunter laid flowers at the grave of his wife at a cemetery in Paphos, Cyprus.

The 76-year-old revealed that his late wife 'cried and begged' him to do it as she suffered from blood cancer.

Hunter had been on trial for the death of his wife who had died from asphyxiation back in December 2021.

The court heard that it had been Mrs Hunter’s 'wish' to die and that her husband 'only had feelings of love' for his late wife having been married for over five decades.

Ritsa Pekri, Hunter's defence, also told the court that her client's motive had been to 'liberate his wife from all that she was going through due to her health conditions'.

While Hunter was convicted of manslaughter for the death of his wife, he was later released due to the 19 months he had already spent in prison.

David and Janice Hunter were married for over 50 years.
Family Handout

He was jailed for two years but allowed to walk free within 15 minutes of being sentenced at Paphos District Court on Monday due to time already served and good behaviour.

Appearing outside the court, the emotional man told the press: "I can’t describe it. I’m sorry. I wish I could, I wish I could find words to describe it but I can’t."

The day after being released from the Cypriot prison (1 August), the British expat headed to the resting place of his late wife at a cemetery mere minutes from the couple’s home in Tremithousa - a small village near the coastal resort town of Paphos.

He was previously unable to visit the grave as he was admitted to hospital immediately after Mrs Hunter’s death following a suicide attempt by overdose but medics arrived in time to save him.

The retiree was released from prison following the hearing at Paphos District Court.

It was at this point that Hunter was then taken into custody and prosecuted for murder.

Pictures show the widower holding a bouquet of pink, purple and yellow flowers at the cemetery.

"I’m elated and relieved that my darling dad has been released," Hunter's daughter, Lesley Cawthorne, said, adding: "The past 19 months have been a living nightmare for our family but today is the start of us being able to rebuild our lives.

"Dad’s release also means we can finally grieve for my mum and I hope everyone can respect our privacy whilst we take the time to come to terms with her loss."

Hunter's representatives have dubbed the whole situation a 'tragic case'.

Michael Polak of Justice Abroad, who’d also been representing the Hunter, said that the group was 'very pleased' with the sentence.

He added: "This has been a tragic case and difficult for all of those involved with it, but today’s decision was the right one and allows David and his family to grieve together."

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677.

Featured Image Credit: Victoria Jones/PA Wire / Family handout

Topics: Crime, Health, Travel, UK News